Bashplate Or Bashring

marcus heath

Definitely a bashplate. A bashplate covers more of your frame and gives more protection. But many riders just use a bashring to save weight and it looks better. It is a 50:50 choice between saving weight, or having a bit more protection.

but i think the problem with a bashplate is it dosent protect your chain or sprocket

Definitely a bashplate. A bashplate covers more of your frame and gives more protection. But many riders just use a bashring to save weight and it looks better. It is a 50:50 choice between saving weight, or having a bit more protection.

You talk alot of shit. Bashplates are normally better for compy riders due to geting over rock etc. There not designed to be used as a landing object and thats why many frames are cracked due to them. Bash rings are lighter and are better for street as far as i know.

Edited by Skilled trials

but i think the problem with a bashplate is it dosent protect your chain or sprocket

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?pr...;category_id=82

Look at this bashplate. I run it and it covers my chain and freewheel. I don't use a bashring with it either. What bashplate are you running?

Oh. Don't you have an Onza Ice? If you do then your bashplate mounts are different to this.

My mate has an Echo Lite bashplate and no bashring and he never hits the chain.

Edited by onza_ardmair

im just wondering what is better to have a bashplate or bashring and witch one protects better.

thanks marcus.

I'm not worried about weight on my base bike, I use it for an a to b bike, but it has the added bonus of being able to make do as a good urban trials/street bike at the same time, I've a bash ring/guard on a set of profile cranks, this also stops my jeans getting eaten and dragging my leg in by the chain on the sprocket. Can't say witch one protects better, I never really use them that much but its nice to have the plate just in case a wall connects with the non drive side/centre of my bottom bracket shell. Like I said I'm not worried to much about weight on this bike, lets just say its like running with weights strapped to your feet - when I get on my Ashton Justice which is a nice light bike with no seat etc, moves are so much easier because your used to pulling them on a heavier bike.

post-24846-1262620021_thumb.jpg

Just my opinion. :P

Bash rings are better in every way, they can take the knocks for longer, don't bend, snap or strip threads from the frame, they're lighter, look better and not as tempting to use. (I hate riding BIU rules, I tend to use UCI but cheat a bit, nothing is allowed to touch apart from tyres and toes. :P)

I preffer to use a bashring on a mod. I really don't like how bashplate looks, and its weight... As above said it also could brake/damage a frame when you landing on bashplate after a gap (for example).

Have a validation vote.

Just my opinion. :P

Bash rings are better in every way, they can take the knocks for longer, don't bend, snap or strip threads from the frame, they're lighter, look better and not as tempting to use. (I hate riding BIU rules, I tend to use UCI but cheat a bit, nothing is allowed to touch apart from tyres and toes. :P)

I know a bashplate is to protect your sprocket and chain etc, but i keep hitting the bit above it on the frame :angry: i have a coke can cable tied to it, but that doesnt really help. Is their anything else i could buy thats designed to do that job, or something that would look a bit better? Is it just me who has this problem?

I know a bashplate is to protect your sprocket and chain etc, but i keep hitting the bit above it on the frame :angry: i have a coke can cable tied to it, but that doesnt really help. Is their anything else i could buy thats designed to do that job, or something that would look a bit better? Is it just me who has this problem?

Cut up a bit of tyre, and cable tie it to your downtube. Looks stupid but it works.

Alternitively you could buy a downtube protector.

Yeah a tyre would be alright i think, i'll try it, thanks for the tip :) Where do they sell downtube protectors? i've never seen them before, are they just like big lizard skins?

Their used to be a down tube protector on the market called an "armadillo" its was only about 6-8 inches long, it was thick material that attached with Velcro at the top of the tube which has 4 or 5 plastic rods down the centre of it to cover the bottom part of the down tube. You could position it anywhere on you down tube and the idea was that when you hit something the plastic rod broke and absorbed the impact, haven't seen them for a while, I try not to worry about my frames in that way any more, life's to short the first chip is the worst and all that and frames look so much better when they've not got things attached to them but I know how you feel.

Just remembered there's a company called toxsin that make some pretty sweet things for trials they've got a tube protector I think try - http://www.toxsin.co.uk/?cat=12 for there trials gear

or there Wackstick at link - http://www.toxsin.co.uk/?cat=31

Edited by japslap

I don't know whether you have this glass-fiber fabric and epoxy adhesive (plastic glue) on the market, but we're in Russia have it. Here is an example of how it will looks in the end:

i-1.jpg

One PUSH IT!

Second PUSH IT!

It is a "sandwich" of glass-fiber fabric and epoxy adhesive. Firstly, you should make a decoy for all layers (with a little margin, it will cutted later with ease), after that you need to cut as much layers as needed to fit in 3 mm height. Also you need to use a PE plastic to cover your frame to prevent it from glue drops. And one major thing left, you need to SECURELY FIX PE film on the tube with duck tape. If you will have any questions, ask me, I will try to explain everything.

HINT: If you'll make layers bended up to 3/4 of down tube diameter or little less, guard could be clamped on a tube and declamped when not needed.

Edited by Shy D.

Thanks for the idea, that actually looks quite professional, do you work with fibre glass? i've sorted out a piece of old tyre so im good now. But if i ever need to do it again i might give that a go :D

Thanks alot everyone

Unfortunately, I just a 'man-that-knows-where-to-search-required-info', but anyway, yes, I can do that thing. ;)