What Wheel Size Is Best For Me?

Mrtom22

I'm thinking about starting trials and i was just wondering what would be the best wheel size for me to start out on? Bearing in mind im 6.ft tall.

I've been told that a 20" bike would be the best to learn the basics on,but im not sure.Can anyone help?

Cheers,Tom.

what kind of riding are you going to be doing, i have been asking what bike is best for me for a while and i have finaly learnt that its about what your going to be doing, a good first bike is a cheap bike with the best spec you can afford, maybe a second hand bike.if your doing street i would say stock or 24 but if your doing pure trials then a mod, it dosnt matter about your hight, as it says on the tartybikes video and it tells you why. if your looking to do street and you want a 24 what i was thinking of doing was getting a stock with good parts on it but not a so good frame, maybe a dented and scrathed frame, something like that with disk mounts on the forks, ride that for a while, if its your first bike your not going to be doing massive extreme drops so the dent wont realy matter that much,then try out a 24 and if you like it then by a 24 frame and wheels and then everything else off of the stock would fit. it all depends on your riding style.

chris

In answer to your questions guys,truthfully i've only had a go on 20" bikes,i dont know/havent come across anyone who has had a 26" for me to try <_< .

I'll have a look at that link now cheers :D

And i have a mixture of natural and street to ride relitatively near me,i know its one of life's better dilemas but i dont what would be best for both? I would

definatley buy a used bike just in case i didnt get on with it,and you're right about possibly building up a bike.I think ill have to try both before i make a decision,

What do you guys think is the best best for a bit of everything? I'm sorry for being a newb :lol:

Cheers,Tom

your not being a newb, you got to learn some way, i would say to go with stock, if your going to be doing street then you can use it, and i dont know much about natural but there not as good on natural as a mod but they will be better than a full sus, lol but you could still use a stock perfectly fine on natural, then you can have the best of both world and then choose which one you prefer and if you prefer natural then you could sell your stock and would have plenty of money from it to get a mod. hope i have helped

chris

no but if you go onto there profile and have a look to see if they have a email adress on there and if not then have a look to see if they have msn and add them, and if they have neither put a comment on there profile with your email adress and ask them to email you, but just make sure you can get the bike because some people get a bit arsy if you let them down and if you do then you might get a bad reputation on the forum, its going that way at the moment for me :/ so i got to some how try and redeme myself. hoped i have helped.

chris

Yeah i see where you're coming from,i wouldnt want to annoy anyone,its happened to me before,someone dissapered after they bought something from me off ebay.

I will only buy one when i have the space/when ive made up my mind,thanks alot for your help mate :)

Tom

My personal take on things (which many may not agree with)

20 - you like to do a lot of static things like gaps and sidehops...pretty much things from a standstill. Easier to throw around on natty because of size and weight, but you also get the disadvantage of a smaller wheel on the natty not rolling as easy.

26 - Feels more like a regular bike, but not. Better for rolling things where you can really take advantage of the large wheel size like taps, etc. You can be a bit more sloppy on the stock and not pay for it (taps really suck the ass on a mod). Going big seems like it take a bit more effort from static, but rolling things like pedal-ups, etc seem to work out a little better.

24 - I don't think there are enough geometry differences/choices on the 24market to really categorize it as anything other than streety spinny BMX type stuff.

Obviously, you can do anything on any bike, street on a mod, streety stuff on a stock, pure trials on a 24 etc, but that's what I've found personally each "size" does.

ive got a mod and find it too small, just built up a sintra stock and have only rolled about in my front room lol but it feels HUGE!!! no sure il be able to get on with it. need a decent day on it to see but it appears much harder to hop etc. not sure what to do now hahahaha

My personal take on things (which many may not agree with)

20 - you like to do a lot of static things like gaps and sidehops...pretty much things from a standstill. Easier to throw around on natty because of size and weight, but you also get the disadvantage of a smaller wheel on the natty not rolling as easy.

26 - Feels more like a regular bike, but not. Better for rolling things where you can really take advantage of the large wheel size like taps, etc. You can be a bit more sloppy on the stock and not pay for it (taps really suck the ass on a mod). Going big seems like it take a bit more effort from static, but rolling things like pedal-ups, etc seem to work out a little better.

24 - I don't think there are enough geometry differences/choices on the 24market to really categorize it as anything other than streety spinny BMX type stuff.

Obviously, you can do anything on any bike, street on a mod, streety stuff on a stock, pure trials on a 24 etc, but that's what I've found personally each "size" does.

That makes sense,I always thought that a mod would be easier to throw about because of their size but I'm worried that if i buy a stock

it will be too big for me to move about on?

When i rode my friends mod it was very flickable and easy to stand up on the rear wheel,but are stocks alot harder to stand on the rear wheel

and harder to flick about?

Thanks for the help :)