Continental Rubber Queen

trialsmax04

Yo all,

Need a more substancial tyre on the rear of my bike as the mountain king 2.4 is more like the puncture king.

The thing is i want to put a rubber queen on there but ive been told it may not fit. But cant remember my chain stay length. I ride an echo HIFI, and i believe the stays are 375mm? If so will this bad queen'ie fit in there?

cheers max

Edit: if not can anyone recomend any rear tyres that protect against snake bites?

Edited by trialsmax04

Get a Try-all.

I'm in love with mine - its never sliped on street, and on natural it grips to the side of a wet rock nicely (which my high roller never could). Also the sidewalls are seriously thick so punctures are hard to come by. Only downside is its heavier than most tyres out there, but I think its worth it!

Ive got Rubber Queens (2.4s) and they are pretty big. They fit in my Adamant A2 but i had to tweak the wheel alignment. The wheel had to be trued up so it was perfectly central in the frame otherwise the treads rubbed on the frame.

Pretty sure its because the sidewalls are actually taller than a normal tyre, which ends up pretty much like fitting a 26.5 inch wheel on your bike lol.

The Rubber Queen fits in my old Echo Control (Bought new around Christmas 2007), but only stopped rubbing badly after I cut the side blocks off the tyre. The centre blocks still rub the brake booster very slightly - basically the diameter of this tyre is huge. It grips well and is very bouncy, but don't expect it to not squirm out from under you on side slopes or expect not to slit the sidewalls if you snag it on anything. The 2.5" single ply high roller on my new bike is almost as bouncy but more stable on side slopes and has more durable side walls, so I'd get one of them instead and save myself a lot of money...

but only stopped rubbing badly after I cut the side blocks off the tyre.

>_< How long did that take?

I'd get one of them instead and save myself a lot of money...

Thats another thing to take into account. The Rubber Queens are like £50 each pretty much. The only reason i got them was because i got mine trade price, but now that ive got them and used them, id buy them again.

Would i buy them at retail price?

Probably not.

Probably about 15 minutes with a fresh stanley blade to take the side knobs off - if you have a blunt knife it's nigh on impossible though...

I should also mention the Echo frame I used the tyre in also has 375 mm chainstays.

I use a single ply tyre with a DH tube for dealing with pinch flats and I'm around the 90 kg mark (But then again it's not like I do huge lines either).

I used dual ply minions before as well and they were amazing for holding onto side slopes and not squirming, but they had no bounce in them at all for pogoing up steps on the back wheel or for preloading hops and pinch gaps...

I've got a 2.1" Maxxis Advantage up front (I've been running these for years on my XC bikes because they grip fantastically well and wear pretty slowly, but didn't try them on a trials bike till a few months ago) - very impressed with it - it grips as well as anything else I've tried, but weighs a lot less and seems to have enough puncture resistance with a standard tube in it too.

Get a Maxxis minion or highroller (makes no difference) in super tacky dual ply if you don't fancy the investment in a der kaiser.

In my humble opinion rubber queens are garbage unless you're a beginner and dont ride on anything too technical or are an elite rider and are only after light weight,

they do go ever so slightly thicker towards the bottom, but as Mr Wood said, the extra height of the tyre help prevent punctures too, but don't get me wrong, you need to be smooth otherwise you'll still get punctures.

My vote is for a Rain King, I have used them for over a year now and I am still to get a single puncture with one, plus they are the grippiest tyres for sale (FACT!) and they don't easily fold either which makes them the most predicable tyre on off-camber surfaces EVER!