Cracking Noises

staryarm69

I keep getting cracking noises from my headset iv had it in bit n everything looks fine but the top cup is I bit loose in the frame and has some tin wrapped round it to make it fit better cud this be the problem n how do I fix the problem the sound is very of putting.

I keep getting cracking noises from my headset iv had it in bit n everything looks fine but the top cup is I bit loose in the frame and has some tin wrapped round it to make it fit better cud this be the problem n how do I fix the problem the sound is very of putting.

buy the correct size headset

so long as its the correct size as said, sounds like your headtube is worn/flared etc

To my knowledge, there isnt much you can do. You can try getting a machine shop to make an insert for your frame, and then fit your headset into that?

otherwise its new frame time

or it could be loose.....

or the bearings could be shafted. Take the sealed units out and see if theres any obvious play....

Edited by PaRtZ

so long as its the correct size as said, sounds like your headtube is worn/flared etc

To my knowledge, there isnt much you can do. You can try getting a machine shop to make an insert for your frame, and then fit your headset into that?

otherwise its new frame time

or it could be loose.....

or the bearings could be shafted. Take the sealed units out and see if theres any obvious play....

i think it is the head tube cos i got frame fork headset with cranks second hand and it was all built so when i finised it of it rode it it was makein a lot of noise so droped front end of n theres a pice of tin wraped round the top cup to make it fit tighter as without it its loose

What headset are you using? If the headtube is flared you could try using an fsa pig, as the cups are longer, so they will fit further into the headtube. If this doesn't work then it's new frame time.

its a 06 gu headset ( http://www.biketrialseller.com/product/236 ) in a gu typhoon 08 mod frame ( http://www.trialprod.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=17&products_id=233&osCsid=9315cb4d19b0c44ce682c1e007cccc56 )

Yeah, If I were you I'd try an fsa pig headset before you shell out on a new frame. Because the cup seats on that gu headset don't look very deep.

Yeah, If I were you I'd try an fsa pig headset before you shell out on a new frame. Because the cup seats on that gu headset don't look very deep.

i really carnt afford a new frame lol out of work so a headsets pushin it but il try that thanks mate cheers