Onza... Good Or Bad Starter Bike?

onzajorge

Hey people,

I am having some trouble with my 20" Onza Pro. The front and back brake discs are binding and can only be sorted if i change the lever set up. Bit stuck with it. And also my front wheel bearings keep loosening after about 2hours of riding. Are Onza's known to be unreliable. Just so you know everything is still standard on the bike.

Just need to get a good set up,, its causing me some problems and causing my riding to be put on hold for a bit to be honest.

Ant help is appreciated

Cheers,

Onza Jorge xx

Hey people,

I am having some trouble with my 20" Onza Pro. The front and back brake discs are binding and can only be sorted if i change the lever set up. Bit stuck with it. And also my front wheel bearings keep loosening after about 2hours of riding. Are Onza's known to be unreliable. Just so you know everything is still standard on the bike.

Just need to get a good set up,, its causing me some problems and causing my riding to be put on hold for a bit to be honest.

Ant help is appreciated

Cheers,

Onza Jorge xx

Brakes - Binding in what way? Are they rubbing etc? How do you know it is the lever set-up at fault?

Front wheel bearings - If unsealed hub then make sure the cones are done up against each other as detailed here

Very good bikes, especially at their price range. How long have you had the bike for dude? Sounds like you have a couple of small routine maintenance problems that all new bikes suffer. Things come loose, one of those things I'm afraid :)

If you need any help fixing the above, just describe exactly what's happening and we'll do our best..

Alex

Brakes - Binding in what way? Are they rubbing etc? How do you know it is the lever set-up at fault?

Front wheel bearings - If unsealed hub then make sure the cones are done up against each other as detailed here

Very good bikes, especially at their price range. How long have you had the bike for dude? Sounds like you have a couple of small routine maintenance problems that all new bikes suffer. Things come loose, one of those things I'm afraid :)

If you need any help fixing the above, just describe exactly what's happening and we'll do our best..

Alex

Hey,

Cheers for the help. It's like rubbing constantley yeah... and then when i manage to sort it and it doesn't bind then i cant get my lever set up right the way i want it. When i fix the binding theres just way too much play in leveres and they are on the bars before working!!and ok cheers, i haVE HAD A LOOK AT CONES BUT NOT IN DETAIL SO WILL CHECK IT out again, and i have had my bike about 2-3months now...

Cheers please write back.

Onzajorge

Hi,

I have an Onza Pro 2009 model with the "duel pull" discs. I also had loads of problems setting them up. I found that the sprung piece that holds the pads apart needed some adjustment by bending it. Take the caliper off of the bike and pull the lever slowly looking at the pads as they come together. On my brakes one pad was at a slight angle. By bending the metal forked spring (not too much) that holds the pads apart, I found that I could get the pads to come together more evenly, making setting them up a lot easier and stopping them rubbing, but with the lever pull being reasonable. Although It still took a while to adjust them correctly.

I had the rear wheel bearings come loose. I took my rear hub apart and re-greased and re-adjusted the cones. The best advice I can give is to make sure the cones are locked against the outer lock nuts nice and tight. Since re-doing mine I have had no further problems.

Hope this helps. ^_^

• Like 1

In regards to the main question or topic title.. Onza being a good or bad starter bike, I'd say yes personally.

Why:

They have bikes to cater for people ranging from Beginner to advanced, For example, the Onza RIP or Onza T-Bird are by far the most beginner friendly bikes, and also very affordable.

For more advanced riders there are the Pro Series and Comp series etc, As i saw you mentioned you had a Onza PRO, well i have to say my friend has a 2004 onza PRO and its a really

lovely bike to ride.

Conclusion:

Yes, Onza bikes are definatly a good choice for a beginner, they are reliable and in most cases affordable, Also if you're having that much trouble with your brakes and have no clue

what to do to sort it out, either take it to a family / friend who may know what they're doing, or if not just take it to the local cycle shop, as i'm sure they will be able to help.

I have seen this problem with the ONZA Pro bikes, 5 of them so Joe if your reading this sort it out.

On the point of the brakes binding the guy above has described very well what to do, when you do this your brakes will be epic, honestly they work better than the Hope discs on my Zoo Lynx.

• 2 weeks later...