Sticking Brake Lever

Jimbob 2705

Hi Guys,

I had tried a 'Bath Bleed' like Revolver explains in the video tutorial.

First time I tried it, when I held the brake lever in fully for 2 seconds or more, it would make the brakes stick on.

So I gave the bath bleed another try. I have a problem though. I was was letting the lever go when it just stuck on.

It is now stuck on. I can only push it back off if that makes sense it doesn't spring back. The brakes are not affected by the leaver at all, so when I squeeze it there is no pressure!

Any ideas on how to solve this issue?

Thanks

James

It sounds like a stiff master cylinder, which happened to me on my second water-bled brake.

There are two solutions. The first one, which is only really temporary, is to blast a load of oil into the master cylinder from the outside. This used to work for me, but only for a week or so.

The second is something I've never done myself, but I've seen it suggested as a solution for other people in your situation -

Disconnect the lever from the brake, poke/pull the plunger bit out of the lever, lube it up inside, and you may as well lube the seal too. Put it back together, all done, then go follow my bleed guide again!

Disconnect the lever from the brake, poke/pull the plunger bit out of the lever, lube it up inside, and you may as well lube the seal too. Put it back together, all done, then go follow my bleed guide again!

Both of them. Lube it up with oil from the outside then poke it thorugh. Proceed to clean out all the gunk and thick slimy crap from the residual magura oil.

I've just done mine today and it's so much nicer, and i first water bled mine around 4 years ago!

i had this problem a couple of times, the lube etc only seems to work for a while. take the master piston out of the lever, remove the seal, and sand a tiny bit of the piston, keep refitting every now and again to ensure you havn't taken to much of.

once you'r happy lube up again and refit and you should have a nice light lever feel

Aaah yeah!

Matt Burrows mentioned that seals can swell up in another thread.

from what i can see when i have done it, its the actual plastic piston that swells, i have no idea why its just seems to happen over night.

a tip is to remove the rubber o ring (seal) when you sand the piston as you dont want to damage it