Bent Derailleur?

Jimbob 2705

Hi Guys,

I was just riding my Trek 3700 on the road and the Derailler just suddenly caught in the wheel. I had taken it up the mountain earlier in the day but it was fine on the way back?

I don't really know much about mountain bikes so I could do with some help of you guys.

I have taken some pictures which should help:

DSCF3892.jpg

DSCF3893.jpg

DSCF3894.jpg

DSCF3896.jpg

What is wrong? Is it fixable or do I need to get new part/s? If I need new parts, what parts do I need?

I don't want to spend much on it to be honest.

Thanks,

James

Its a common problem, due to either the gears being set-up badly or the hanger being bent and off line. You will definitely need a new mech, and probably a new hanger unless you want to try and get it aligned at a shop (hanger alignment is crucial for smooth gear changes). Also check the wheel for damaged or broken spokes, and the chain for twisted links. If the chain is really worn and needs replacing you may need a new set of cogs on the back as well (screw-on freewheel).

That sounds really bad, but if money is tight you might be ok with just a new mech and some careful alignment of the mech hanger with an adjustable spanner.

• 3 weeks later...