Tensile Cranks Thread Rounded Off.

1handedluke

hello everyone, right i got some tensile cranks from

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300420440418&_trksid=p2761.l1259

because they where £50 cheaper then normal priced cranks, as soon as i get them i put my new sprocket on the cranks, and yes the sprocket is the right size of 1.37.

just as I start pedaling it holds up fine for about 10 seconds, then the crank thread all decides to rip off. i emailed the store telling them my problem and sent them these pictures. and there reply was

Hi, we think it looks like the freewheel wasn't put on correctly, ie not tight enough or cross threaded or incompatable with the freewheel. If you want we you can send it to us and we can pass it onto onza, but we don't think its a manufacturing fault. Apologies, A.G.

so yeah just wondered where i stand and what other people think about it.

dscf0129f.jpg

dscf0126rw.jpg

dscf0128z.jpg

so yeah just wondered where i stand and what other people think about it.

Looking at the photo, I'm 99.9999% sure that the sprocket you used is 1.375". If you fitted a good quality 1.37" sprocket to those cranks I'm confident there is plenty of thread left to work fine.

A similar thing happened to me, it was due to the sprocket was slightly to big but Tarty managed to get me a better fitting sprocket and i have been running it for almost a year with the threads partially stripped like yours and have not had a problem.

The sprocket im currently using is a trialtech sprocket which was the best fit but im also running trialtech crancks.

A similar thing happened to me, it was due to the sprocket was slightly to big but Tarty managed to get me a better fitting sprocket and i have been running it for almost a year with the threads partially stripped like yours and have not had a problem.

Glad it's still working :)

The main reason this works is that the strong bit of the thread is as the base, but you've only taken the very tips off the threads on your cranks.

Why would people make sprockets 0.005" larger than the standard?

(Or why do we make them 0.005" smaller if 1.375" is the standard.)

yeah its annoying because my lbs did say it was a 1.375 cog, which i believed to be the right size and when i was in the store i did just screw it on slighty. and it seemed to fit. looks like i'll be ordering one off tarty soon then :D thanks adam

Yep, although because it's a good quality item it is usually bang on spec, unlike some cheapo sprockets which can be oversized.

- Uses 1.375" x 24 tpi thread. Please note that this is slightly larger than standard 1.37" and we recommend at least 9 threads of contact between crank arm and freewheel to prevent the crank arm thread from being stripped.