Half Link Chain Question

foxinsocks

Well, this may be kind of a dumb question, but seeing as i never had a half link chain, i'd rather be safe than sorry-

how do you break a half link chain? just noticed two links are inverted (not my fault), with their flat side (rather than the "curved" side) resting on the drivetrain (not my fault!)

What are the odds of messing it up and not being able to put the pin back? (i dont have any spare links handy).

Or is it better if i just leave these 2 links alone?

i've installed and repaired chains by the hundreds, but its the first time with a half-link.

(Toxsin half link, by the way)

Thanks.

They break and join the same as any other chain. They do however stretch and unintentionally break more than any other chain...

Ooooh... Seriously? Snapping a chain is rarely fun <_<

I thought they're considered stronger... So whats the advantage of using them? fitting?

Would i be better off, in the long run, switching to a thick single-speed chain?

Edited by foxinsocks

Because of the shape of the links, they're a lot more prone to stretching which isn't ideal in terms of fitting your sprocket/freewheel well, and also weakens them in general. I've also seen a lot of BMXers I used to ride with just snap them pedaling. The strongest one out there is the Shadow Conspiracy Interlock V2, but even so it still stretches quite a lot. If you actually need a half-link, then running one link from one of those chains with a 'regular' chain works well, but I wouldn't personally use one for trials if I could avoid it. If you're after a good setup, something like a KMC510HX with one of those half-links if you actually need one would be a good compromise. Less stretchy than the 710/810, and pretty damn strong anyway!

You've shocked the very core of my existence with this new information.

I've spent my whole adult life just assuming half links were tougher (guess because they're so... fat) and now... turns out i've been living a lie

I gotta lie down.

Makes sense though- guess if they were better, most MTB's would use 'em.

Well, i also feel like a dufos cuz i just sold my jackflash with a brand new KMC510 - and the guy who bought them from me was really stoked about the half link chain i now have. Could've killed 2 birds with one stone :shifty:

BTW- speaking of KMC - 2 years ago i used my jackflash mostly for commuting. I've had drivetrain issues with my stupid truvativ crank always coming loose, so i kinda neglected looking at my chain. One ride the entire drivetrain felt strange... so i had to stop and inspect it inside out - only to find out 3 links had one plate completely broken in half, and a 4th link halfway open (i dont do rails or grinds, that was just from pedalling wear). God knows how long that chain has been holding on like that!