Noob Question!

7up_elise

:$ Feel pretty stupid for having to ask this, but is my chain on the wrong way or something?

Also does my chain need to be shortened to reduce some of the slack?

I rode my bike for the first time yesterday, and found thaty the chain skips pretty much every other turn of the cranks... Anyone got any ideas?

Edit- forgot to add the pic :S

chain.jpg

Edited by 7up_elise

Yes and yes.

Shorten the chain as much as possible, and try tensioning upwards of you can, you've not got much chain wrap at all there - that's probably causing the chain to skip.

Edited by Skoze

What do you mean when you say tension upwards?

Thanks for the help :)

Make the tensioner push the chain up, instead of down - it'll increase the amount of wrap you get. You kinda have to do this with small sprockets and single wheeled tensioners (imo anyway) Make sure you shorten it as much as possible first though!

Make the tensioner push the chain up, instead of down - it'll increase the amount of wrap you get. You kinda have to do this with small sprockets and single wheeled tensioners (imo anyway) Make sure you shorten it as much as possible first though!

What a good idea. :D(Y)

I've changed the chain so its the right way up and took a couple of links out of it, but it still doesnt look real tight...?

To get the tensioner to push upwards do I need to mess around with the spring on the back?

Confused :S

I've changed the chain so its the right way up and took a couple of links out of it, but it still doesnt look real tight...?

To get the tensioner to push upwards do I need to mess around with the spring on the back?

Confused :S

Nooooooo put the chain on the back sprocket, then instead of putting it under neath the tentioner put it between the sprocket and tensioner.

>_<

Ashes.

But as my chain tensioner is spring loaded when I undo the chain it does this....

untitled-2.jpg

Any chance of doing a quick sketch in paint to show us what you mean? lol

Sorry :$

:\ My idea wouldnt work if it springs that way, sorry about that mate.

I doubt you can shorten it anymore, unless if when you remove single link it makes perfect tension without tensioner until the chain streatches. Not sure if you know what I mean. If you do shorten it and it a little bit too short, put a half link in it.

Or change the gearing ratio... Maybe 1 tooth less on the back should do the job.

Edited by 3dd

Yeah, i had that tensioner once, have to fiddle with it to make it tension upwards. Can't remember exactly how, but it wasn't too difficult with some playing and logical thinking.

Just do it so the chain's tight as it can be, then get the tensioner pushing up from under it. Remove the guard if it has one too, you don't need it.

Cheers for the help guys. I took a couple of links out, and adjusted the tensioner so the wheel was more inline with the chain and took the old girl otu for a spin.

All seems okay so thats me happy :)

Just after a back brake now!!!