Chain Tensioner

djason

Hi guys,

I faced a funny but serious issue.

I bought trialtech k710 kool, 1/8" chain but it's too wide. So it doesn't fit in my chain tensioner (Rohloff Speedhub Tensioner).

Please I need help

I would like to tell me about chain tensioners for my chain.

Thanks

Hi guys,

I faced a funny but serious issue.

I bought trialtech k710 kool, 1/8" chain but it's too wide. So it doesn't fit in my chain tensioner (Rohloff Speedhub Tensioner).

Please I need help

I would like to tell me about chain tensioners for my chain.

Thanks

Have you tried spacing out the side plates by taking out the screws that go through the jockey wheels, putting some washers either side of the jockey wheels inside the side plates, and then re-assembling it all. This should move the side plates further apart, giving it enough width for the chain to pass through. If you need to space it out loads you may need longer bolts though, as the washers may not allow enough thread depth in the side plates and the threads may strip out.

Have you tried spacing out the side plates by taking out the screws that go through the jockey wheels, putting some washers either side of the jockey wheels inside the side plates, and then re-assembling it all. This should move the side plates further apart, giving it enough width for the chain to pass through. If you need to space it out loads you may need longer bolts though, as the washers may not allow enough thread depth in the side plates and the threads may strip out.

Nice thought but I have already tried this and failed because the tensioner has it's own bolts and I can't replace them with mine.

Thanks anyway! :)

As shown on Tartybikes page for the rohloff tensioner-

This tensioner works with most drivetrain setups apart from super-fat chains and some rear hubs. We recommend the KMC K810 chain, however the K710 and Collapse chains will also work with a small tensioner modification (a spacer each side of each jockey wheel). Please contact us if you need any help with this.

Guys my problem is with the tensioner not with the chain.

I just bought the chain and I don't want to buy a new one,

I just want to buy a new tensioner in which I can fit this chain.

Please inform me about tensioners for this chain.

Thanks

Guys my problem is with the tensioner not with the chain.

I just bought the chain and I don't want to buy a new one,

I just want to buy a new tensioner in which I can fit this chain.

Please inform me about tensioners for this chain.

Thanks

maybe you didn't understand my post, why spend $35 plus on a tensioner when you only have to spend $12 on a chain. I under stand the chain is brand new but unless your tensioner is broken why replace the expensive part?

its like if you bought a new fork that the steer tube was a few mm to short so you went out and bought a new frame

Nice thought but I have already tried this and failed because the tensioner has it's own bolts and I can't replace them with mine.

Thanks anyway! :)

Yeah you can, just buy some longer bolts if you need to like I said earlier, something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M4-x-45-STAINLESS-ALLEN-BOLT-CAP-SCREW-10-10-EX-FREE-/220597721389?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&hash=item335ca6192d

These 45mm long M4 stainless steel bolts are only £2.25 each, so that's just £4.50 for two which is the sort of thing you need to replace the bolts in your tensioner. I don't know exactly what diameter and length you'll need but you can easily measure them. They certainly won't need to be longer than 45mm so for less than £5 you'll be sorted. Stainless steel won't rust quickly either so they'd be the ones to go for. If you need to buy some washers they won't be more than a few pence, but you've probably got something you can use lying about.

That's what I'd do, it'll be much cheaper than having to buy a new chain or tensioner.