Chain Tension

michaelweeks24

hi there i,m new to this site and not sre how this thing works but basically i have problem with my chain tension or possibly my freehub

everytime a put load on the pedals it feels like the chain slips i,m running a 74 kingz tensoiner and tried a different tensioner which only made itworse so i put the 74 back on the freehub body is on a hope pro2 so i,m hoping the freehub body is fine and its is just the chain tension what can with out taking the free hub body apart to find the fault i dont mind taking it part but i,d rather leave it as a last resort

Hmmm , difficult to diagnose but given that differing tensioners affect the "slipping " I suspect you're not getting sufficient chain wrap on the rear cog . What size cog are you running ? You might get reliable results with a sprung tensioner like this . Might be worth inspecting the chainline aswell to ensure it's running in as straight a line as possible between front and rear chainrings / sprockets .

Welcome to the forum by the way , you already have a validation vote from me for this post .

Ok is it a clunking like the chain slipping off the sprockets or is it a smooth movement ?? If it's your chain skipping then read that guys post ^^, if it's just a slow smooth movement on the cranks then either the treads on your hubshell or cranks have stripped, if it's your hub your ok cause hope will replace the shell for free

Hmmm , difficult to diagnose but given that differing tensioners affect the "slipping " I suspect you're not getting sufficient chain wrap on the rear cog . What size cog are you running ? You might get reliable results with a sprung tensioner like this . Might be worth inspecting the chainline aswell to ensure it's running in as straight a line as possible between front and rear chainrings / sprockets .

Welcome to the forum by the way , you already have a validation vote from me for this post .

thank for the welcome bro and mega helpful advice i will look into it now knowing where to start top man and thank you dude

.M.

Ok is it a clunking like the chain slipping off the sprockets or is it a smooth movement ?? If it's your chain skipping then read that guys post ^^, if it's just a slow smooth movement on the cranks then either the treads on your hubshell or cranks have stripped, if it's your hub your ok cause hope will replace the shell for free

its like a hard clunking skip and for a brief second it feels like the cranks have no chain attached but it only happens on hard pedalling it never happens in slow movement

i,ll get BACK TO YOU ON HE COG SIZE BRO

Edited by michaelweeks24