Gearing Set Up

HOLES

hey guys, im currently riding a stock onza t-bird, running 24 - 18 ratio gearing (i think i counted it right haha). To be honest im finding it a bit too light.

Any suggestions on what size gearing to change over to? so it doesnt feel like im getting nowhere when i pedal. I know mod bikes have light gearing but this is too light at the min.

cheers in advance for the advice guys...

hey guys, im currently riding a stock onza t-bird, running 24 - 18 ratio gearing (i think i counted it right haha). To be honest im finding it a bit too light.

Any suggestions on what size gearing to change over to? so it doesnt feel like im getting nowhere when i pedal. I know mod bikes have light gearing but this is too light at the min.

cheers in advance for the advice guys...

What is your current setup, I assume you mean 24 front 18 rear but what cranks are you using and is it rear freewheel or freehub?

ah dude dont confuse me haha

24 front - 18 rear

as for the rest your guess is as good as mine. Its a stock onza t-bird 2007 model if thats any help?

if it was a bmx i could tell you but im learning about the bike as i go along, so to be honest not much of a clue at the minute

Edited by HOLES

Right I cant find a spec for that bike but going off more recent models I can possibly help you along a bit.

The newer models have a screw on 24t sprocket on the front and a screw on 18t freewheel on the rear hub which is fixed.

If yours is the same, then all you need to do is simply put the freewheel on the cranks and get a 12t screw on cog for the rear though I could be wrong as like I said I'm going off a more recent spec and couldn't be entirely sure without seeing your drivetrain.

• 1 month later...

yes the newer setups with a front freewheel run 18t freewheel and a 12t fixed sprocket and i know because of my mates bike that that is harder than the one i had on my T-Bird which was the same as the one your were running and the 18t-12t is a harder gear which may suit you better

The way you work it is:

Say you want to work out how hard a gear is take the ratios and divide them Eg/ 24 divide by 18 = 1.3 revolutions of the wheel per pedal

so if you want the harder gear 18 divide by 12 = 1.5 which gives you a harder gear

:)