Hook Ups & Side Hops

gary-mac

well so much for having kind of sussed the hook up, :angry: went out for a hour there and can't get the 4.5ft hook i was getting the other day, can't seem to get the correct lift from 2pedal stroke, might try 3pedal stroke before see if that helps?? must be a off day lol. On the other hand managed the 45inch sidehop afair few times, finding am tucking alot more and finding more power from the pre load. Also figured out why i always near killed myself trying gap to fronts , on the pre load i always had my arms pulled in then go for it, resulting in my front wheel going under the object (N) so it just clicked, on the edge when pre loading i have my arms near at full streach when i lower the front, then explode forward and upwards, front wheels lands right on top edge when front brakes locked on. (Y)

Edited by gary-mac

I went out yesterday and managed a few 3.5ft sidehops but whenever I tried even an inch or 2 bigger I kept pussying out of it.

Also after watching a vid my wife filmed on her phone I noticed that most of the time when I sidehop I don't kick the pedals so I'm booning the whole bike up currently which isn't good for energy levels and also makes me land about 4-6" back on the wall from where I started.

Think subconciously I'm associating kicking the pedals with hopping forwards not sidewards which is where I'm failing, also when I'm getting myself composed ready to jump I seem to do loads of really fast mini hops as opposed to one or 2 as I kind of build the courage to jump which also saps my energy, any tips gary seen as your currently working hard at it??

I went out yesterday and managed a few 3.5ft sidehops but whenever I tried even an inch or 2 bigger I kept pussying out of it.

Also after watching a vid my wife filmed on her phone I noticed that most of the time when I sidehop I don't kick the pedals so I'm booning the whole bike up currently which isn't good for energy levels and also makes me land about 4-6" back on the wall from where I started.

Think subconciously I'm associating kicking the pedals with hopping forwards not sidewards which is where I'm failing, also when I'm getting myself composed ready to jump I seem to do loads of really fast mini hops as opposed to one or 2 as I kind of build the courage to jump which also saps my energy, any tips gary seen as your currently working hard at it??

Thats a fair height your doing!! right since i started learning to sidehop one thing i have found works when setting up is to totally relax when on the back wheel, loads of small hops just make you rush and go when your not ready, you really need to get make them into small but controled hops then before you go balance on the back wheel (no hoping) then the pre load comes in. i'll try get a video this week if i can, am still not getting a massive height but the technique is getting better as i was utter crap when i started. (Y)