2011 Maguras Leaking

Juan Manuel

Hello,

I bought a pair of new Magura HS11 at TartyBikes. I had to shorten hoses so then I had to re-bleed them. They were of course difficult to bleed, not only because they were different from the previous ones but also because they don't have threads in the lever to connect a syringe (so you always have to bleed the entire brake from the slave cylinder), and you have to undo the lever nut until you see some threads, and the Bleed Port plug is hard to take out besides it's small and can easily become lost. After the bleed I pulled the brake 4 or five times with only one finger and with the strength required for some techniques (I'm 16, have rode trials for 3 years now and I perfectly know which strength should the brake be pulled with)and the water (I did a water bleed) dropped off to the floor. Tried using different TPA setups to see if i could solve the problem but it still leaks. Then, I put the old Magura HS33 complete lever I did re-bleed the system and it worked perfectly fine without leaking.

My HSS11 2011 lever leaks. Does somebody had the same problem?

Ways to solve it? (I hate to bleed the brake with oil but it may be a solution, still don't know)

HS33 levers are in some way better? (I bought HS11 because I red in this forum it was essentially the same thing)

If the solution is replacing the levers, which levers should I buy?

Thanks,

Juan Manuel

i had the same problem mate,

mine leaved from the barb fitting at the lever and i couldnt bleed them properly.

heres how i did it.

turn the lever so the little ebt drill is facing vertical,

pop it out and keep it safe (too much time spent looking on the floor)

unscrew the fitting till 3 threads can be seen

insert a syringe without plunger into the ebt drill hole so it acts as a reservoir

fill a syringe and put it onto the slave cylinder

push the fluid through till bubbles stop

pull the lever in fully a few times

hold it in for abit and push on syringe too,

when bubbles stop, pull the syringe from ebt drill hole and put finger under the hole in the syringe because it leaks everywhere.

put the syringe down somewhere or tip it into a bottle

put ebt drill back in and do up the barb fitting tight,

remove slave cylinder syringe and put screw back in.

i think if you dont pull the lever all the way in and dont have a syringe in the ebt drill hole acting as a reservoir it doesn't work very well.

also i had to buy a magura hose clamping block to bang the barb fitting in, makes a nice tight seal.

hope this helps you out, let me know how you get on.

Carl.

took ages to write that out and i just realised you have HS11... i have HS33. i think the biggest problem is the barb fitting, it has to be a bang tidy fit.

mine leaved from the barb fitting at the lever and i couldnt bleed them properly.

Thank you for your answer. I didn't know a syringe could be used as a reservoir. It's helpfull advice.

Anyways, my brake leaks through the piston. I'm still looking for some help.

Juan Manuel

Are you guys all sure that your brakes are actually leaking?

Unfortunately, yes. I have bleed the brake many times with different TPA adjustments to try to stop the water coming out through the cylinder/piston but I couldn't. Using an old brake lever that I had (HSS33 2005) solved the problem for the rear brake, but I still need a solution for the front one (with the 2011 lever), besides the old brake lever that I have in the rear brake atm has been used for so long and I want to change it (the old 2005 brake lever sealing is better than the 2011 Magura's even after years of usage!).

Juan Manuel

Any suggestions ? I need to decide whether to buy new Levers (Which ones) or to fix the current ones in some way (How could I?).

can you get some pics up. showing where its actually leaking?

be interesting to see.

its probably something small you may have missed. if not, you can always phone magura and get a replacement.

Where is it exactly leaking from? I am on my second set and the easiest way is too shorten the hose then use the olive and sleeve nut in the slave, makesure when you are connecting this to push the hose right into the slave with the olive a couple of mm back on the hose then tighten the sleeve nut into the slave (if you dont the sleeve nut can push the olive off the end and your hose will just pull out the slave cyclinder :$ ) then the easiest way is to bath bleed,,

put everything in the water take the screw out the slave,

disconnect the hose from the lever and suck through the barbed fitting, do this a few times after each time cover the end with your finger to prevent any air getting in,,, pull and release the lever till you see no bubbles coming out and connect the hose back onto lever underwater, screw back in slave underwater, bish bash bosh perfect hs11s.

Edited by Jake-Ansell

I tested the front brake and didn't leak. Then I switched the lever and put the rear lever in the front brake and apparently didn't leak. I hope the water was leaking through the barbed fitting. Tomorrow I'll join the rear brake hose to the lever's barbed fitting more carefully, then I'll ride for a while. Probably the water was coming out from the barbed fitting, going through the back of the lever and dropping from the cylinder/piston-side of the lever. If this is true, anyways thanks for your help because I'd probably had missed that fact if you didn't give me some advice. After testing the bike I'll comment so as to avoid misleading someone who is about to buy the brake.

Juan Manuel

I was going to say, I would be very surprised if the brake was leaking. To test for leaks if you are bleeding with water, add some food colouring when you do the bleed, then if any seeps out of the brake you can wipe it away with toilet tissue and the colour will show.

My guess is a bad barbed fitting connection or air in the brake making it feel like it's leaking.

Tried the bike today. Was raining which didn't help me to see where was leaking from but the barbed fitting is perfect and was assembled correctly. I started using the brake normally until the lever eventually started reaching the handlebar, the water is still escaping. This brakes are driving me crazy :P Will try to post a video or something.

Can the hose rotate on the barbed fitting? If yes, it's not fitted correctly.

Have you tried the food colouring trick?

One thing with a poor bleed is that the brake often feels like it's leaking when in fact it isn't. If when the brake is bled there are small amounts of air all over the system it usually still feels ok, but after some use the air gradually rises and gathers in the lever, so you can feel it very easily.

Can the hose rotate on the barbed fitting? If yes, it's not fitted correctly.

Have you tried the food colouring trick?

One thing with a poor bleed is that the brake often feels like it's leaking when in fact it isn't. If when the brake is bled there are small amounts of air all over the system it usually still feels ok, but after some use the air gradually rises and gathers in the lever, so you can feel it very easily.

Yes it rotates, not easily though. It should be completely still?

Didn't tried with the food colouring yet.

I pulled the brake some times after re-bleeding and it didn't leak, then when I rode the bike for a while the lever cold reach the handlebar so you may be right about the small amounts of air all over the system.

Will test the brake for a week and try different things, then I'll comment.

Juan Manuel

Well, today I did bath bleed the brake, took everything apart and resembled the brake under the water (obviously i didn't disassemble the lever nor the slave cylinders) bleeding everything separated. Rode my bike (today is not raining anymore) and in 1 minute the water escaped (another few hours lost). The brake IS leaking and through the PISTON/CYLINDER.

post-25867-0-57707500-1302983481_thumb.j

post-25867-0-23184300-1302983495_thumb.j

post-25867-0-77143000-1302983530_thumb.j

post-25867-0-94891100-1302983625_thumb.j

post-25867-0-97539600-1302983574_thumb.j

post-25867-0-31814000-1302983597_thumb.j

How the brake ended up after loosing the water:

Please help to claim the guaranty, I don't know how. I have a comp in two months and would also like to train for it.

Juan Manuel

oh dear, well what i would do mate. is phone whoever you bought it from. (im assuming tartybikes?)

i think you have to fill in a form and pop it into the package with the brake and send it back, then they will send you a replacement from magura. not sure how long it will take though.

tartybikes are usually pretty good with returns etc,

a bolt on my new booster snapped and they sent me a next day replacement for free.

hope this helps.

oh dear, well what i would do mate. is phone whoever you bought it from. (im assuming tartybikes?)

i think you have to fill in a form and pop it into the package with the brake and send it back, then they will send you a replacement from magura. not sure how long it will take though.

tartybikes are usually pretty good with returns etc,

a bolt on my new booster snapped and they sent me a next day replacement for free.

hope this helps.

Thanks,

Yes, I bought it in TartyBikes. After posting I rode the bike with the other lever, the one which came originally in the "front" brake and worked perfect. Only the "rear" (I know it's the same because it has a "flip-flop" design) leaks. I guess I'll ride with the old lever till the replacement comes, fortunately one new lever works great.

Juan Manuel

I got mine with an oil bleed. It was terrible!

I shortened the hose exactly as the guide said, re-bled with water and now its beautiful; and I can't set brakes up well normally.

Did you cut the hose at a wonky angle? I found that if the barb spins thats usually a cause of leaking as it can cut into the hose material more than desired...

I shortened the hose exactly as the guide said, re-bled with water and now its beautiful; and I can't set brakes up well normally.

Did you cut the hose at a wonky angle? I found that if the barb spins thats usually a cause of leaking as it can cut into the hose material more than desired...

Read the post and see the pictures. Sent the e-mail as regards the warranty.

i got one that was bled with maggy royal blood, i then cut down and re-bled with royal blood.

second one i bought came bled with yellow-y oil, (piss colour) i cut down then re-bled with maggy royal blood.

both are working great now with no leaks, but the pads are being eaten by the ground rims so ive just bought some tnn lgm's for the back and heatsink yellows for the front.

Haven't received it... What email did you send to? Can't really see from the photos.

What happens if you bleed with oil? Water voids the warranty unfortunately.

Sent it from the TartyBikes' webpage. Will re-send the email if you want. When it was bleed with oil it was also leaking, I remember the rear brake was oily even when I was using it before shortening the hoses. What would you like me to do for you to see that the brake is actually leaking? I took the photos with my cellphone, sorry for the bad quality. I would hate to re-bleed the brake only to see it leaking again and need to switch back to the other lever, but if there is no other option I'll do it of course. I've used the rear lever in the front brake twice and it leaked both times. However, the real front lever has never leaked, so it's not a barbed-fitting problem.

Juan Manuel