Brake Rotor Size Upgrade

Eddyboy123

Hey everyone

I am looking at upgrading the size of the disk brakes on my mountain bike (Mongoose Tyax Super '09).

This bike came with 160mm rotors so I am looking at upgrading to 203mm's at the lowest price possible (hopefully only needing to buy adapters and rotors, not callipers). Already have a bent rotor so might aswell

What different adapters would I need to buy and how do I need to fit them?

Front:

35cn7rq.jpg

Back:

2ekklqu.jpg

Back 2, please note the adapter already there:

rt1glh.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

James E

Edited by Eddyboy123

cheap rotors here... and cheap adapters here... why do you want bigger rotors? why 203mm? if you bent a 160, theres more chance of you hitting a 203mm rotor... they're heavier to. go for 180, most trials riders get the performance they need out of 180/185. 203 is excesive unless your riding DH and your having issues with over heating...

for the front you'll want a PM-PM F180 (or F200...)

for the year you'll want an IS-PM F180 (or 200)

cheap rotors here... and cheap adapters here... why do you want bigger rotors? why 203mm? if you bent a 160, theres more chance of you hitting a 203mm rotor... they're heavier to. go for 180, most trials riders get the performance they need out of 180/185. 203 is excesive unless your riding DH and your having issues with over heating...

for the front you'll want a PM-PM F180 (or F200...)

for the year you'll want an IS-PM F180 (or 200)

thanks for the advice, probably will just go to a 180mm.

the reason is I want a bit more stopping power.

Edit: also does the shape of the rotor make much difference?

and for rear do you mean IS-PM R180 not F180?

Edited by Eddyboy123

I also wouldn't want to run 203 rotors with quick release axles!

The forces a disk brake has on an axle can cause it to move around in the drops outs. These forces would be much higher with a 203 rotor so I personally wouldn't run 203 rotors without bolt through axles!

I would personally go 180 front and 160 rear, this will be more than enough for everything apart from DH. Saying that, I ran that size rotor setup on Shimano XT brakes in the Alps for 1 week and didn't have any major braking issues!

I also wouldn't want to run 203 rotors with quick release axles!

The forces a disk brake has on an axle can cause it to move around in the drops outs. These forces would be much higher with a 203 rotor so I personally wouldn't run 203 rotors without bolt through axles!

I would personally go 180 front and 160 rear, this will be more than enough for everything apart from DH. Saying that, I ran that size rotor setup on Shimano XT brakes in the Alps for 1 week and didn't have any major braking issues!

Yeah thats what i was thinking now, just need to find some cheap rotors

Edit: i'm thinking these rotors:

http://www.readytoridecycles.co.uk/180mm-alligator-starlite-disc-brake-rotor-218-p.asp

Edited by Eddyboy123

• 1 month later...