Downhill Novice Competitions

Bucky

well i have put my namke forward to comepete in The Army Cycling Championships in the downhill category

now my question is - will my DMR trailstar2 be up to the job?

obviously its hard tail, with Dirtjump3 forks, hope hubs dmr rims dmr three peice cranks. im going to get a pair of maxxis high rollers and its single speed.

iv been told dh in the uk at novice will be ado-able on a hardtail but will single speed be up to it?

04092010489.jpg

I'm not sure about the whole Championships but there is a round being held at Tidworth where I dig and ride most weekends, you will be fine there on a single speed hardtail.

Definitely go for off road tyres but personally I would want to run a front brake as well.

A couple of the guys I ride with are on the Army DH Team, they have recently picked up some pretty good sponsorship deals!

geat stuff thansk guys.

im goin to try and borrow a bike off someone though, id much prfer to have a full sus DH setup.

after a bit of a chat about my previous riding with my Sgt Major today i will now be enetering the 'Hill Climb', '4 cross' and 'downhill'

7 races over the space of 3 days. my legs are going to die..... oh well at least it gets me out of camp for a week lol.

• 2 weeks later...
For tyres i'd go for a set of minions rather than get high rollers, that way you will be ok if it rains abit. (Taking it your not planning on getting a couple of sets of tyres for when weather changes).
What makes you say that?

Minion = Dry Tyre

High Roller = Intermediate Tyre

The High Roller is designed to be more of an all weather tyre.

Sure it isnt the other way round? High rollers have large ramps on them for loose dry tracks, and minnions have large square nobbles on. I Maybe wrong, but at DH races people generaly use minnions or wetscreams for front tyres when it's wet and either a minnion or high roller on the rear so it doesn't drag as much when pedeling?

It Certainly will be Bucky.

When i first started riding Downhill competitively there was a few lads who were riding hardtails and they did very well. That said there are also people now riding on single speed set ups and also doing very well.

• 3 weeks later...

I spent a few quid n got : m4 tech front. Lx chainset, renthal 44t ring, funn seat, minions front, high roller rear. Did qualifying today, got a 1.08, fastest in seniors was 1.01, I got 4th. Final on Thursday hopefully I can smash it then too. Also got 10th in the army xc champs and 30th in a tissue hill climb. All on the tRUSTY dmr Haha. I'll stick a pic up in a min.

Tissue?? Lol * roadie.

managed to smash it into third place in the finals. i was on top spot but 2 guys got me by less than half a second on their last runs.

i got thir with a 54.93, extermly happy, esspecially as i beat half the army dh team on a track they have ridden before. couple more events like that an i'll be on the team myself.

Haha well done! That is really good, especially seeing as a few of the guys are local and helped actually build the tracks. You were lucky with the weather, I think if it had rained worse through the day the track you raced today would have been quite interesting! Were you in a separate hard tail category?