Learning To Ride Trials

Tioz

I haven't read the rest of the thread and I cant be bothered to read the argument aswell!

Anyway I would suggest learning back hops from an endo and then leaning from the back wheel from that, I can see you may miss the pedal with your method and get some nasty shindigs! Also you then find the balance point from leaning back or forward more rather than starting from the point on the back wheel. May seem a bit tricky and sloppy at first but youll progess more and youll be able to learn the pedal up much easier. Remember it has taken months for pro riders to even learn back hops! (Y)

• Like 1

i have vertical dropouts so i have to run a free hub

EDIT: i think so anyway. thats what my mate reckons but il have a search and ask the forum if not

It'll be worth looking into it I think!:lol:

I haven't read the rest of the thread and I cant be bothered to read the argument aswell!

Anyway I would suggest learning back hops from an endo and then leaning from the back wheel from that, I can see you may miss the pedal with your method and get some nasty shindigs! Also you then find the balance point from leaning back or forward more rather than starting from the point on the back wheel. May seem a bit tricky and sloppy at first but youll progess more and youll be able to learn the pedal up much easier. Remember it has taken months for pro riders to even learn back hops! (Y)

When I go up using an endo I finish with the pedals nearly vertical and loose my balance..am I doing something wrong?

I can get up ok with a pedal kick even if it's a bit hard because of the very few engagement points of the freewheel so I'm not constant and tend to loose my balance..but I'm not getting a new hub anywhere soon unless mine explodes!

PS you did the best thing not reading the argument

Edited by Tioz

im pretty sure i need a free hub from reading in the FAQ.

I found that my 1.2 has hardly any engagement points either which is frustrating.

Yes it sucks..that's the last thing I'd feel the need to change on the bike after changing the brakes

Also my cones are already falling apart..and it's not like I'm doing 11ft drops either

Edit: just counted the engagement points..it has 21

Edited by Tioz

im pretty sure i need a free hub from reading in the FAQ.

I found that my 1.2 has hardly any engagement points either which is frustrating.

you dont need a freehub mate you can use a fixed rear hub and go with the front freewheel but you will still need a tensioner of some sorts, i have a 1.2 myself i got a pro 2 off a lad on here and my bike shop laced it to the rim that comes standard the rim is more than strong enough so dont worry about buying a new rim. i had the same nightmare with the standard hub it isnt ideal but a second hand pro 2 (just make sure you get the right one either 32 or 36) the rims we have are 36 but i would still count just to be sure shouldnt cost a fortune and will feel a lot better.

tioz when doing a endo keep your pedals horizontol just start off small maybe a few inches then go a little furthur and then some more and eventually you'll end up flat on the face :lol: might be worth doing it on grass i forgot about trashzen i use it myself as it has step by step guides (Y)

i'm pretty sre the number of engagement points is even. youre also gonna need to get a booster if your bike is like mine. the frame flexes alot when you pull the brakes.

Engagement points can be even or in multiples of 3 I think..well about 20 then :giggle: Sucks anyhow

Here you go good sir

imag0223iy.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I tidied up the ridiculous bickering in this topic. Don't let it happen again otherwise there will be warnings handed out.

As for the hops - you've clearly got reasonable balance because you are hopping side to side a bit, and backwards to balance. It's pretty difficult to backhop forwards without pedalling, so when you're overbalancing that way you can't correct it and the front wheel falls to the ground. The next step is definitely to put a pedal stroke in.

I never found the pedalling-without-hopping thing particularly easy, I always found it easier for balance when you do it WITH a hop (you'd be less likely to fall to the left/right).

Try this:

On the flat, trackstand with the brakes on

Put some pressure on your front pedal, still holding the back brake.

Now, if you let the brake off, you'll move forward because you're pressing on the pedal. This "pre-tensioning" the pedals is crucial for more or less every advanced technique.

The next step is to co-ordinate this movement with leaning your weight back/pulling up slightly. If you do it right, the front wheel will come up, and the back wheel will come forward about 12-18 inches, and come underneath you.

You can either hop or not, it doesn't really make much difference but I always felt that you could set your balance a bit better if you did hop.

At this point you need to grab a handful of back brake to stop you falling over backwards.

That's the basics. Once you're comfortable hopping into an upright position, you can try the same sort of movement (tension pedals, release brake, hop, catch the bike on the brake) to hop forwards.

To get a feel for how much you need to pedal, you can learn how to do wheelies. Just to get the feeling of the front wheel coming up.

to the creator of thread: you are doing it wrong :/ in the first clip dont put your bike on rear wheel and then jump on it... be on 2 wheels roll your bike than pull front brake to lift your backwheel and than as your rear wheel comes downs pull rear and lean backwards and try to stay on rear wheel.

Another tip would be putting your front on obstacle of height like 3 pallets and trying to jump backwards on rear.

thats how i learned it :D hope it made sense and helped :/

also when you were hoping from road onto pavement.... find a stairs of 2-3 and try to jump them up that way... you jump on first and trackstand by touching your front to second stair when you are ready you jump on second and balance by touching the third

this was my first month of riding

• 3 weeks later...

I tidied up the ridiculous bickering in this topic. Don't let it happen again otherwise there will be warnings handed out.

As for the hops - you've clearly got reasonable balance because you are hopping side to side a bit, and backwards to balance. It's pretty difficult to backhop forwards without pedalling, so when you're overbalancing that way you can't correct it and the front wheel falls to the ground. The next step is definitely to put a pedal stroke in.

I never found the pedalling-without-hopping thing particularly easy, I always found it easier for balance when you do it WITH a hop (you'd be less likely to fall to the left/right).

Try this:

On the flat, trackstand with the brakes on

Put some pressure on your front pedal, still holding the back brake.

Now, if you let the brake off, you'll move forward because you're pressing on the pedal. This "pre-tensioning" the pedals is crucial for more or less every advanced technique.

The next step is to co-ordinate this movement with leaning your weight back/pulling up slightly. If you do it right, the front wheel will come up, and the back wheel will come forward about 12-18 inches, and come underneath you.

You can either hop or not, it doesn't really make much difference but I always felt that you could set your balance a bit better if you did hop.

At this point you need to grab a handful of back brake to stop you falling over backwards.

That's the basics. Once you're comfortable hopping into an upright position, you can try the same sort of movement (tension pedals, release brake, hop, catch the bike on the brake) to hop forwards.

To get a feel for how much you need to pedal, you can learn how to do wheelies. Just to get the feeling of the front wheel coming up.

I tried a week later to get up using a pedal kick I can pretty much dial in 20 hops (mainly backwards)..I tend to fall when the pedals have ratcheted up too much.

My main problem is consistency on getting on the back..sometimes I just give a kick and hop up other times I can kick as hard as I can and can't get high enough so I just fall forwards again

I don't know if it's because of the shitty hub or what.. :ermm:

I'll have to work on the pedal pretensioning.. it's hard to get the right amount of brake when letting go

I can get up on the back by doing a little endo but like that I end up with my pedals already vertical so I tend to fall off after a few hops

Edited by Tioz