How Long Will A Weld Last On A Koxx Sliver Sky?

Manus-Rider

I do

You'd need a separate ageing treatment.. And no, it wouldn't be a local treatment- the whole frame would likely need heating.

Different areas will be heated at different rates and to different peak temperatures. Some areas could harden due to particulate coarsening. Normalising would only return the parent material to it's original properties if it was normalised to start with. No engineering aluminium alloy I can think of would be supplied like this.

No offence to you- you sound like you know a fair bit, but I do actually do this for a job..

Adam

Again, no offence, but none of that would be viable on a bicycle frame.

How could you heat different areas to seperate peak temperatures by wacking it in an oven (also know as precipitation hardening, the second stage of the heat treatment process of most alloys used in the manufacture of trials frames)? Im not having a go at you, but this kids about to spend how-ever much on a frame that he's being told, by you, he can fix easily, when in the real world, it's never going to be fully repairable.

You may well do this for a job, but you sound like you've had no experience with frame repair or the practicle side of heat treatment, theory sounds great, but dosent always come through (Y).

Cheers,

Josh.

• Like 2

Again, no offence, but none of that would be viable on a bicycle frame.

How could you heat different areas to seperate peak temperatures by wacking it in an oven (also know as precipitation hardening, the second stage of the heat treatment process of most alloys used in the manufacture of trials frames)? Im not having a go at you, but this kids about to spend how-ever much on a frame that he's being told, by you, he can fix easily, when in the real world, it's never going to be fully repairable.

You may well do this for a job, but you sound like you've had no experience with frame repair or the practicle side of heat treatment, theory sounds great, but dosent always come through (Y).

Cheers,

Josh.

Hello again..

You've not quite followed what I meant there- you'd need to heat treat the frame as one (as you said you don't have enough control to do it locally), but the metal will have been affected differently at varying distances from the weld.

I'm not saying it's easy to repair but it can be done and I believe it this was a very expensive frame! If heat treatment turns out to be too difficult then there are still other options to be considered.. Too many frames get shelved way too soon!

Adam

Hello again..

You've not quite followed what I meant there- you'd need to heat treat the frame as one (as you said you don't have enough control to do it locally), but the metal will have been affected differently at varying distances from the weld.

I'm not saying it's easy to repair but it can be done and I believe it this was a very expensive frame! If heat treatment turns out to be too difficult then there are still other options to be considered.. Too many frames get shelved way too soon!

Adam

Yesssss, i worked that one out and said it further up. This is the main reason that it wouldnt work, why heat treat a frame and not get it up to its optimum working capacity? (if that makes sense :P).

I'm not saying it's easy either, i'm saying it won't work :P If it did, why hasn't anyone made a business out of it already, or even tried it?

Look at the other types of frame that also have this problem, downhill, freeride and cross country, areas where they spend much more than we do on frames and still replace them once they've cracked.

I have given him probably one of the best and easiest alternatives, which is the carbon skinning, the only way you'll get a cracked frame to work for a decent amount of time (Y).

Kid, dont bother trying to find an oven, it wont help you, either weld it up and see how long it lasts, skin it, or do as everyone else does and buy a new frame (Y) end of.

Cheers,

Josh.

Edit- Oh, and you do know that aluminium age hardens naturaly over time? Precipitation (or artificial age) hardening simply speeds this process up to reach it's peak on a much smaller time scale.

Edited by Rob Leech