Drilling Rim Sidewalls

TryAllTrials

Has anyone ever tried to drill 'possible?' hundrens of 1mm or 2mm holes into the side walls of their rim and used it with a Magura? I just had an idea that if it was possible to do this and still mannage to maintain high levels of bite i.e simmilar to a grind? if this is possible then you would'nt have to maintain the rim and you would make it lighter. I'm not sure if this would work and how much weaker the rim would be but maby it's worth a try? I know It would not work in the same way as a grind but there must be a pad avalible that is soft enough to press slightly into the holes and still be quite durable... Just a suggestion...

Edited by TryAllTrials

These have drilled sidewalls, and someone here posted a video of them doing some trials with a drilled sidewall on the back, and it doesn't seem to slip on him when he does some pretty big stuff. let me find the link!

EDIT: linky

The video is in there :)

Edited by DrStix

These have drilled sidewalls, and someone here posted a video of them doing some trials with a drilled sidewall on the back, and it doesn't seem to slip on him when he does some pretty big stuff. let me find the link!

EDIT: linky

The video is in there :)

I see, Although am talking about 'engineering' :D the rim specificly for this purpose, The onza rim has bigger & more holes than what i'm thinking about and the onza one is just for lightness on the front when run with a disk.

Edited by TryAllTrials

(haha im on the comment that "DrStix" linked)

i drilled my front rime (its a "sanrimes rhino lite")

i use v brakes with inspierd blue peds and it works the same...i think?

you do have to know!!! my side walls drilling "saved" my only 10g' or 15g'

so really there is no point in it what so ever.

it only look really cool

(haha im on the comment that "DrStix" linked)

i drilled my front rime (its a "sanrimes rhino lite")

i use v brakes with inspierd blue peds and it works the same...i think?

you do have to know!!! my side walls drilling "saved" my only 10g' or 15g'

so really there is no point in it what so ever.

it only look really cool

I'm not worries about saving weight, If you could get it to be as good as a grind then you would never have to do it again so it would pretty much stay as it is until you destroy the rim.

I wouldnt bother... if your wanting to do a bit of weight saving.. Have a shave then go for a dump works for me HAHAHAHAHA

Has anyone ever tried to drill 'possible?' hundrens of 1mm or 2mm holes into the side walls of their rim and used it with a Magura? I just had an idea that if it was possible to do this and still mannage to maintain high levels of bite i.e simmilar to a grind? if this is possible then you would'nt have to maintain the rim and you would make it lighter. I'm not sure if this would work and how much weaker the rim would be but maby it's worth a try? I know It would not work in the same way as a grind but there must be a pad avalible that is soft enough to press slightly into the holes and still be quite durable... Just a suggestion...

Did you even read the entire post? And why mock weight weenies? Yes some go too far but so do the hundreds of "HURR TOO LIGHT GO POO" comments I've seen.

Did you even read the entire post? And why mock weight weenies? Yes some go too far but so do the hundreds of "HURR TOO LIGHT GO POO" comments I've seen.

Haha thank you, I was not suggesting it to save weight it was more just you wouldnt have to freshen it up once completed & as for pads hence why I said soft & durable!, I would not do it personally. Anyway this was a pointless thread to be honest I just wonderd what peoples opinions were & so on + that I could reach my 15 posts without talking to rediculus people. I'm not realy too fussed about been a member or trials-forum now, I have just been reading a few disputes and come to the conclusion that this forum is bitchy as hell. Were trials riders we should stick togeather not rite a load of bollox to people who generally have ideas and queeries & kick off with one another over nothing. I'm guessing most of the people on here are Kids or Men who act like Kids? I am most probily going to be slated now for saying this but some people on here are just a joke. p.s none of this has applies to any of you who have commented on my topic I have no problem with you.

• Like 1