All Mountain Brakes (Hydro Disc)

Matt Vandart

I was wondering which Hydro. Disc brakes would be good for all mountain riding.

I am looking at formula atm but was wondering if cheaper alternatives are suitable.

I would prefer ones with flip flop levers as I run my brakes arse backwards and cant be arsed with bleeding.

Are Hope V2's suitable?.

Also what size rotors?

Thanks

Shimano all the way (Y)

Go for the SLX or XT brakes, they do not come with rotors so you would have to purchase rotors separately.

If you get them from Rose Bikes who are based in Germany they will already be the 'wrong way' however it is likely you will have to shorten the hoses anyway.

Some recent threads containing useful information can be found here:

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/topic/166090-disc-brake-recomendations/

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/topic/167762-disc-brake-help/

Awesome, thanks for the replies dudes.

Another question:

I have a post mount frame and I want to run 185 rotors.

What is the score with post mounts in regards to rotor sizes?

Thanks

EDIT: well I thought I did till I saw this:

Please klik

What is it on about in the sizing options?

180mm post mount 6" ???

Thanks again.

Edited by Matt Vandart

Awesome, thanks for the replies dudes.

Another question:

I have a post mount frame and I want to run 185 rotors.

What is the score with post mounts in regards to rotor sizes?

Thanks

EDIT: well I thought I did till I saw this:

Please klik

What is it on about in the sizing options?

180mm post mount 6" ???

Thanks again.

Size of the rotor and the size of the rotor you'd be able to use without the need for an adaptor, pretty much the same as ISO, ISo +20 etc? So they can provide you with a 180mm rotor and the correct adaptor to allow you to use it with your frame. What bike are you running this on?

I'd give another vote for the Shimano brakes, SLX and XT performs really well and is fairly good value for money. Grab a set of 2011 XT brakes if you really want to spend the money.

The Shimano brakes should come with an adaptor that is the correct size to run a 160mm rotor on the rear. 160mm on the back brake should be more than enough however I would run a 180mm rotor on the front, you will probably need to buy an adaptor for the front brake separately but the adaptor you need depends on the type of mount that is on the forks (although they are highly likely to be post mount).

I have run Shimano XT brakes 180mm front and 160mm rear on my Commencal for 3 years and they have never let me down! They even coped with a week of riding long descents in the Alps!

I need some new brakes, was just waiting to get paid for the Rosebikes deal but they're out of bloody stock now. Cheapest I can find is £180 for a set, grrrr. Still, way cheaper and better than anything else.

Isn't a V2 just a standard post mount? Is the frame IS? Assuming it is (most are), then you need an IS to 180mm (rear) post mount, it doesn't need to be Hope but I'm sure they do them. You should be able to use a 160mm disc, again this doesn't have to be a Hope one, unless you want the fancy vents.

The only complicated thing is that Hopes use 183mm diameter rotors but *I think* 180mm adaptors. There's an extra '+3mm' built into the calliper itself. This doesn't usually cause problems as the radius is only 1.5mm bigger so it shouldn't rub. Even if you use another manufacturer's 180mm discs it should work fine.

It's a post mount frame, this is the issue :(

After a bit o basic measuring I rekon the post mount on the frame is in the same position relative to the axle as the post mount on the fork.

This would be good. :)

I did think of using other discs, I have some hope xc ones here, but the braking surface is too narrow :(

V2 uses the same size pad as the mono trial, just different shape pad, big f**kers.

Edited by Matt Vandart

It's a post mount frame, this is the issue :(

After a bit o basic measuring I rekon the post mount on the frame is in the same position relative to the axle as the post mount on the fork.

This would be good. :)

I did think of using other discs, I have some hope xc ones here, but the braking surface is too narrow :(

V2 uses the same size pad as the mono trial, just different shape pad, big f**kers.

What frame is it? And what discs are you running on it at the moment? It's quite unlikely that the mount is the same as the forks. Front post mount = 160mm in 95% of cases, if you run a bigger disc you'll need a +20mm or +40mm adaptor. I think a 'standard' rear post mount would actually be for 140mm, but some frames are built so the mounts work for 160 or 180 mm discs. Basically you need to find what size rotor the frame was designed for and just bolt the caliper directly onto the frame, either that or get a +20mm adaptor.

The frame is a giant Trance x 2011

I am running no discs atm because this is a new build.

The discs I have are Hope V2's as described above.

The standard bike runs a 160.

The problem is you cant get a 160mm rotor for the V2.

I cant use a different 160mm rotor as described (I think) the only other disc that would have a wide enough braking surface would be a mono trial rotor.

Mono trial have a habit of not dealing with heat which I believe is caused by the rotor design.

It seems you cannot buy Post mount to post mount + adaptors specifically for the rear, or I cant find any.

I have measured the mounts position relative to the axle on both the front and the back.

These measurements appear to be the same unless I have missed something obvious.

I am going to try using a +20 FRONT post to post adaptor to see if it works.

Ah OK, I'm not able to help any further then, I cannot figure out which adaptor you would need from CRC so I think you should go and ask in a decent bike shop.

Kind of off topic but why does everything have to be post mount now? I just do not get it, it just means more threads in the frame/forks to worry about stripping! This summer I managed to strip one of the post mounts on my Rockshox Totem forks so I had to use a longer bolt to reach the good thread further inside the mount. At least with IS to post mount on the back you only have to worry about the threads on a cheap to replace adaptor! I guess I was just unlucky that the mounts on the Totems are already 203mm so you are bolting the calliper directly to the mount on the forks.