Ashton/diamondback 26"

Culshaw95

Hi i was just wondering if there are any riders with the Ashton/Diamondback 26" and if so i was wondering if they have had any problems with their rear wheel slipping out of place. I have had this problem since i got the bike and i have come up with a design and it has been made and tested to stop the rear wheel coming out post-29200-0-10461600-1318280976_thumb.j

post-29200-0-80272100-1318281390_thumb.j

post-29200-0-39791000-1318281031_thumb.j

I have one, and I solved it by adding small spacera each side on my tryall h hub and smear revolver and just got fresh bolts and done them up tad tighter then usual nd never does it. Fair play to you for trying just looks major bulky and horrid on them though

• Like 1

I have one, and I solved it by adding small spacera each side on my tryall h hub and smear revolver and just got fresh bolts and done them up tad tighter then usual nd never does it. Fair play to you for trying just looks major bulky and horrid on them though

na its not to bad when you actually see it. I just started to get annoyed with the bike cause i have come of many times from it coming out of place so i got it made but i have grown a lot more confidence with them on

i just never understood why it slipped out i always checked it had no grease on the axle and tightened it and then the other day not only did it come out it snapped the axle bolt aswell. I just thought it would be worth putting on just to see what people would say cause it has worked out pretty well

I ride with George and he's never seen mine come out, I know what you mean about confidence as does knock it abit, as I said props to you id never think of that.

ah yeah haha i just went on your profile and noticed you were friends with him and tom, i remember him telling me about you. I dunno what has caused it happened when i got the bike was only till recently it started doing it again cause it did it when i got it

If it slips out then thats a fault surely? Is this on the diamond back frames?

well when i got the bike off tartys i told them about it and they said "Sounds as though you have it not quite tight

enough or it isn't installed correctly. Please ensure the hanger and

tensioner are all setup correctly. A good way to do this is to sit on

the bike backwards as you tighten the bolts, so the axle is all the

way into the dropouts." i got it set up properly down my mates and he had a go and it came out again when it was tightened up

Yeah George has mentioned that you had issues with yours, thought I was the only one with a Ashton, o think its just a flaw in the frame but when I sorted mine hasn't caused me any issues.

ah right well its all sorted now haha and i might be coming up MK for like a week in the summer next year bringing the bike up just to ride with new people and ride a new area

You seem to be running one of those non quick release skewers that run through the entire axle or am I seeing the pics wrong and it's a bolt on hub ? If it's one of those skewers , try replacing it with QR version , most Shimano ones offer good clamping force .

You seem to be running one of those non quick release skewers that run through the entire axle or am I seeing the pics wrong and it's a bolt on hub ? If it's one of those skewers , try replacing it with QR version , most Shimano ones offer good clamping force .

Don't really need to now to be honest cause i got that part made it has solved my problem

i thought the reason was because i got a bit of grease or something on my axle but when i cleaned it and roughened up the drop outs it still came out. It always does it when i get a puncture so when i take the wheel out it starts to come out of place when i check to see if its in correctly. After getting that part made i got more confidence in my riding so i was manning up to the challenge other than worrying about my dropouts. If i were to get spacers or something i would still probably be worried cause the amount of times i came of last week was a piss take haha

sorry, I meant that the axle could be too long for the frame and stick past slightly which the bolts hit before tightening fully.

That is a brilliant point Ali!! We never thought about that one ollie haha, but to be honest ollie, I recon slapping in some spacers either side of the drop outs would have worked perfectly, just this way your wheel if pretty much part of the frame, those 'parts' will make it a tad annoying when you have to take the wheel of I imagine.

i've got an ashton too and my wheel never seems to be completely in the dropouts either

i like the look of your idea, kind of like a bolt in axle setup

whereabouts in dorset are you, i'm from blandford. wouldn't mind a look at your mod

i've got an ashton too and my wheel never seems to be completely in the dropouts either

i like the look of your idea, kind of like a bolt in axle setup

whereabouts in dorset are you, i'm from blandford. wouldn't mind a look at your mod

Im from Weymouth

I never had this problem with my ashton, but I used a hope trials hub.

I rekon Ali is right, just file some of the axle off either side?

I never had this problem with my ashton, but I used a hope trials hub.

I rekon Ali is right, just file some of the axle off either side?

Yeah but i have made that part thats what the whole post is about its showing how i solved the problem. I wanted to see what people thought of it but people are just saying ideas of how to stop it when its stopped

To be fair matt, I know someone with your ashton and they had same issues, and the thing that we have in common including Oliver, we all run ffw and you ran a hope, only thing I'm thinking of.

this is exactly the difference that is causing you all the problem (the very problem that ali said how to fix) and I have seen this loads of times before (though normally on steel frames cause the dropouts are often thinner). If you are using a qr or allen key bolt axle and the axle extends even slightly past the edge of the dropout you are not clamping the wheel to the frame when you tighten it you are clamping the bolt or qr to the axle and nothing more, hence your wheel will move. On the other hand a hope has a female axle, the more you tighten the shorter the axle gets. No matter how thin the dropout is the axle will always bottom out on the frame not itself. Thus a pro 2 will hold and a lot of other hubs wont.

As has already been said adding a spacer between the hub and the dropout or filing a small bit off the edge of the axle will solve the problem and there is no need to make removing your wheel a bitch!

• Like 1