Mountain Bike Routes

Matt Vandart

Green to Black, like ski slopes?

Where are you riding? I suppose each trail centre will grade their different routes in order and assign colours. A black trail at one centre might seem be the same difficulty as a red one at another place.

Edit Links:

IMBA UK

IMBA

Edited by AndrewEH1

Yeah they're not really graded for people who've ridden trials / BMX and can, y'know, ride a bike well. They all seem easy to me too, but my girlfriend finds the reds OK and the blacks too scary so I guess there is some logic behind it.

I beleive it's also the same grading for DH however DH will usually be harder in terms of skill required for example a DH black run will probably have much bigger jumps n drops than an XC black run.

I think with XC also the length of the route might affect the difficulty rating even if there is no particular section that is actually harder.

If it's just a trail centre they hardly ever seem to put in big drops / jumps - at least none that are optional and will hurt if you do them wrong/too slowly.

They're all bollocks though - It's been about 2 years since I rode a trail centre so things might have changed...

Green = extremely easy , mom dad and the kids on a tag along

Blue = easy, smooth surface though some more recent ones can be nailed at full speed, with small berms and rollers. no drops, roots or rocks

red= moderate, everything can be rolled at slow speed but at high speed you can get some air with table tops, jumps and drops. expect some roots and rocks mid trail. medium length (up to 15 to 20k)

Black = hard to extreme, bigger drops, rocks roots. more of a natural feel. some are very long and demanding (glentress), some are very technical (wolftrax) where trials skills come in handy.

Orange = can generally be rolled at slow speed but are designed with big berms , jumps and table tops.

The thing about trail centers is that on any given trail colour once you have ridden a section of it you will know what level of skill you need. You are not going to come across anything more difficult on that trail. Whereas Natural trails will throw all sorts of obstacles at you so you need to be more on your game.