Stripped Magura Threads

William trials

hi, i broke my thread on a magura 4-bolt hole. I want to repair this, but how do i do?

the original thread hole is m5, should I buy a m6 tapper and tap a m6 hole and insert a m5 thread-insert? would this work?

I can't find a helicoil kit and i dont want to order one.

please help!

Helicoil is the best way to fix it,sorry.You can find kit at ebay for less than 8quids.

• Like 1

If you don't want to do it yourself Tarty offer a great Helicoil service. It's £5 to get a thread done but I sent my frame to them and they did all four for the price of one =) True you have got to pay for postage etc, costs £10 to get a frame back off them and you'll have to sort postage to them yourself. But it was easier for me as I don't have all my tools at uni with me.

Also if you decide to send your frame to them by parcel force wrap it WELL!. They smashed my new Piranha frame around, broke the box and managed to bend the dropouts when I sent mine off.

In the past I've jut drilled it and tapped it m6.

I then had to drill the clamps 6mm so the screws could fit through.

I had another problem because I didn't have an m6 screw long enough so I simply filed the top of the brake clamps.

It works good and my brake suddenly became really stiff with a nice bite!