Having Trouble Removing Locked Rear Wheel Sprocket.

Ben Gosden

Just lately i have had to change a few bits because they have worn over time and finally packed up but once i had set everything up the was still i disgusting creek so i gave the bike a deep inspection and saw that the rear locking sprocket has completely worn all the teeth have worn to half size and all different angle's. So i do the obvious thing and purchase a new one but! the old sprocket has been on there for a long long time and ive now snapped 3 chains trying to remove it! one of which was on an official sprocket removal tool.

Has anybody got a methods?tools? that they off that could remove it, for the mean time im un-able to ride.

Thanks everyone.

Pour boiling water over it, and it'll expand the metal to help it come off. Make sure you're turning the sprocket tool the right way (left).

Pour boiling water over it, and it'll expand the metal to help it come off. Make sure you're turning the sprocket tool the right way (left).

Thanks, ill give it a go tomorrow ;)

are you wrapping it in chain and then trying to twist it with the chain thats left over? best way is to wrap it in chain, and then have one piece of chain be out of line so it sticks out like a knuckle and then put it in a vice with the 'knuckle' sitting against the flat of the vice, and then turn it...

are you wrapping it in chain and then trying to twist it with the chain thats left over? best way is to wrap it in chain, and then have one piece of chain be out of line so it sticks out like a knuckle and then put it in a vice with the 'knuckle' sitting against the flat of the vice, and then turn it...

Yeah thats what we have been trying but the chains have just been snapping :( our first attempt was with a tool that has a chain on one end.we wrapped the chain around the sprocket as usual but then the chain clips on the the handle and you can get a firm grip with a bit more power and that had a decent chain not an old one but it still just tore the chain apart.

Thanks for trying to help pal :)

Or use a heatgun, or a blow torch just be careful and it be fine. Have had the same problem, and used both methods, works like a treat! Good luck!

Or use a heatgun, or a blow torch just be careful and it be fine. Have had the same problem, and used both methods, works like a treat! Good luck!

Yeah the second he recommended the boiling water method, the heat gun come to mind.

Cheers ;)

Just had to do this on my bike to replace a spoke

I use a peice of old chain around the cog, put that in the vise and turn the wheel, heat/ penatrating oil will help

Prob have to retrue your wheel afterwards as mine got all wonky form twisting the hell out of it getting the cog loose

Edited by Bunta