Try All Carbon Paint Cracking

Kieran Morrison

What tryall bars are they? I thought you meant carbons at first but just realised you said 'paint' rather than decal/sticker.

I was really unsure about second hand carbon, or even new carbon bars. When I got my rockbars I put them on the table and put all my body weight onto it, I figured if it didn't snap under pressure of about 70kg it's safe (even though when riding I probably put double that amount of weight though it from preloads/landing).

They are the carbons. I figure its not a crack as its appearing on the other side aswell and on other letters, nothing on the actual bar itself. Not sure if its paint though anyone else had this?

Also there are no gouges out of them, a small scratch after sciffing a rail but nothing serious

Where is this located?In the clamp area or elsewhere?

The scratch or crack? The crack about 2cm away from the clamp on the Y of 'try' and the scratch is about 4 cm away under the Y

The one you made this topic about, which was the crack.Photos will help but I reckon it might be just a bit of pressure from the clamp has caused a crack in the resin

Edited by ChrisTrials2012

How would i tell if its cracked the carbon? I noticed the crack at half 3 if it helps.

Well it's very diffcult to tell if you have, and what I said in my post was you'll find out if its cracked, when it snaps from the crack. But don't worry too much. As most likely you have cracked a bit of the resin from the clamp presuure, which is fine. You won't snap your bars from that. As far as I can tell from your vids, your not heavy and not much of a basher, so its very unlikely you'll have done any structural damage to the bar. Just get pics up and we'll see if you need to worry

post-27266-0-97218800-1346533604_thumb.j

The big circle is the main one. It stops about 1mm before the gold outline of the writing.

The smaller circle is a tiny one (about 1/2 cm) which is half on the writing and half on the resin. You can see a line going inbetween the letters next to the smaller cirlce, its just under/over that, and im just assuming thatother line between the letters is meant to be there as theyre all over the place :P

when i scratch my nail over the smaller one i cant feel any bumps, maybe its a scratch but dont see how it could have scratched, ive been really careful with them.

post-27266-0-97218800-1346533604_thumb.j

The big circle is the main one. It stops about 1mm before the gold outline of the writing.

The smaller circle is a tiny one (about 1/2 cm) which is half on the writing and half on the resin. You can see a line going inbetween the letters next to the smaller cirlce, its just under/over that, and im just assuming thatother line between the letters is meant to be there as theyre all over the place :P

when i scratch my nail over the smaller one i cant feel any bumps, maybe its a scratch but dont see how it could have scratched, ive been really careful with them.

Yeah that's little fractures in the resin, like on glass. Its fine. When you start to get gouges or scratches that you can feel distinctly on the bar, Then you might need to worry

Yeah that's little fractures in the resin, like on glass. Its fine. When you start to get gouges or scratches that you can feel distinctly on the bar, Then you might need to worry

I can feel the big crack when i run my nail across it but im guessing you mean scratches self-caused.

So this is just the resin cracking? Is it a fairly common thing to happen?