Bike Weight

Kevinfor

Hello everyone.

I need new brake pads.

So I went on tartybikes and saw they got a new brand of Ti stuff and that got me thinking, how much does the weight actually impact on how the bike handles?

Is it worth changing some minor stuff like bb, sprocket, bashring, freewheel and pedal axles to Ti? Does the lower weight mean you can jump higher?

I'm a begginer but I can jump pretty high (if you ask me) maybe 1.2m or so, I havent really checked but just going by eye.

Oh and any carbon parts is probably a no go as I am hardly what you would call smooth on the landings haha!

Thanks for reading.

Kevin

As a beginner I wouldn't bother spending the money on ti parts though if you wanted to shed some weight on your bike the bottom bracket and wheels are a good place to start. These are really easy places to shed a lot, just changing a tyre or tube can knock hundreds of grams off!

• Like 1

It's all about technique, inspireds are heavy like 13kg but look at TRA he does huge stuff, besides allot of the lighter parts are basically the same thing but with holes drilled in them, or recesses cnc'd out them, like the difference between basic and sl cranks and rims, it actually makes them weaker. it's not worth the effort/money unless your doing allot of competition riding where lighter bike might give you a slight edge. If you take your wallet out of your pocket when your riding that's probably 200g weight reduction right there.

Edited by rocky111

inspireds are heavy like 13kg but look at TRA he does huge stuff

But then you have to look at his muscles to, he's really strong which make the bike "lighter for him".

A lighter bike is easier to throw around, that's true. Many on this forum seems to be sort of against weight saving which I clearly can't see why. When I made my bike 1 kg lighter it made a huge difference to my riding, I could go way higher and longer, and got generally smoother and I'm a beginner. It takes less power to do the moves with a lighter bike, Don't trust me? Feel free to hang on 3 kg weight on you or the bike and ride!

So the conclusion is, yes it's worth to make it lighter if you can afford it.

Edited by williams

But then you have to look at his muscles to, he's really strong which make the bike "lighter for him".

A lighter bike is easier to throw around, that's true. Many on this forum seems to be sort of against weight saving which I clearly can't see why. When I made my bike 1 kg lighter it made a huge difference to my riding, I could go way higher and longer, and got generally smoother and I'm a beginner. It takes less power to do the moves with a lighter bike, Don't trust me? Feel free to hang on 3 kg weight on you or the bike and ride!

So the conclusion is, yes it's worth to make it lighter if you can afford it.

yeah you need a decent bike, but just saying bear in mind, some of the lightest parts are weaker, and at the end off the day I wouldn't get obsessed about it, as couple of hundred grams saved by having a few ti bolts isn't guna make the world of difference. weight isn't everything, I got a few ti bolts and changed my front wheel ect, I saved a few hundred grams didn't notice a difference to be honest. though I'm only a beginner too, but dunno if a pro would notice the difference? maybe they just have light parts cos they can get em for free...

Edited by rocky111

yeah you need a decent bike, but just saying bear in mind, some of the lightest parts are weaker, and at the end off the day I wouldn't get obsessed about it, as couple of hundred grams saved by having a few ti bolts isn't guna make the world of difference. weight isn't everything, I got a few ti bolts and changed my front wheel ect, I saved a few hundred grams didn't notice a difference to be honest. though I'm only a beginner too, but dunno if a pro would notice the difference? maybe they just have light parts cos they can get em for free...

Yeah they're deffo weaker, well if you think a hundered grams here and there doesn't mather, but if you add upp all that together it's quite alot actually! I guess the feel of a hundred grams differ from person to person, When I removed my bashplate ages ago I felt a BIG difference and that's only like 200 grams. And the pro's feels huge difference, the competitions riders even more. The grams they save makes a big difference for them, even if I think it's somewhat in your mind too.

• Like 1