Disc Brake Reviews

Nigel Kilgar

when looking through this forum i've noticed theres not many disc brake reviews like there are maggy and pad reviews so i thought id start one

main things are:

make:

model:

bike used on:

pads used:

rotor used

rotor size:

front rear or both:

good points:

bad points:

ill start

make:avid

model:elixir 5

bike used on: 2012 inspired fourplay

pads used:avid organic

rotor used: avid clean sweep 3

rotor size:203

front rear or both:both

good points: the only good point i can find with them is there cheap and good for beginners

bad points: i got my brakes brand new on my 2012 inspired fourplay and all seemed good till they just have no bite or hold even with 203 rotors i ended up on my arse a few times when they slipped and then the rear lever popped and i sent it back to avid received it back and it still feels spongey and does not hold or bite

conclusion: will not be buying a set again or running them on a trials bike as i value my life

make:magura

model:mt2

bike used on: 2012 inspired fourplay

pads used:oem

rotor used shimano xtr ice tech

rotor size:180

front rear or both:both

good points: cheap, light, easy to shorten hose and bleed front brake is great doesn't rub and bites and holds ok for now still bedding in

bad points: rear brake rubs constantly on the rotor and seems to knock when gapping tried re setting the caliper everything no luck and everythings tight and no bite adjustment

conclusion: going to give them a week if they don't improve i shall be selling them and buying echo tr discs as i know they work

post your situations below

• Like 1

good point nige. any chance of getting this made into a sticky Tom? or Dave?

make: echo

model: tr

pads: standard echo, red backed

rotor: echo

bike used on: onza blade with echo urban forks

rotor size: 180mm

good points: very good lever feel, massive bite and power. lever reach and bite point adjustable.

bad points: lever is weeping a bit, and it takes a lot of bedding in in the right way or you get no bite and hold.

conclusion: very good brake for the money, deffo have one over a mono trial any day of the week. the only brake I would change this for is a saint. no other

Make: Shimano

Model: Saints m810

Bike used on: Because color 20"

Pads used: Original ones.

Rotor used: Shimano acera :$

Rotor size: 160mm

Front rear or both: Rear.

Good points: Amaaaaazing bite and hold, way better than Magura. Lever both looks and feels amazing too. The gold reach adjust is cool. Yeah just generally a awesome brake that spanks the shit out of Hope!

Bad points: Sometimes have too much power, so the tyre almost makes a little 'skid' when you're doing a wheelie or just pedaling up to the rear wheel hard. Modulation is ok, but I don't need it. Yeah just sometimes have to much power, but I love it! A bad point is that it's soundless, I wan't a brake that scares the shit out of people;) Might be a bit expensive.

Buy it if you can, you won't regret it! (Y)

make: Avid

model: BB7

bike used on: 20"s, 24"s 26"s, front + rear on all

pads used: standard avid

rotor used: standard avid roundagon

rotor size: 160/185/203mm respectively

front rear or both: both

good points: cheap to keep, excellent hold, no feeling of bite, but the power is always there. can provide modulation alongside serious power. massive adjust-ability, coupled with sd7 levers you have alot of variables to play with... easy to install/set up

bad points: kinda heavy, but it's not super heavy, the performance and toughness are worth it.

make: Hope

model: Tech Trial with the fancy lever

bike used on: echo 20"

pads used: hope ones

rotor used: generic one

rotor size: 180

front rear or both: front

good points: awesome power and bite, light, can tune the lever position. feels ace

bad points: the lever blade itself has eaten my fingers this week. got a nice blister on my finer and cuts on my knuckles from the blades sharp edges :(

also:

hydraulics always make me a little wary cause failure means expense + fannying about, a broken cable brake, you can always get spares...