New bike is too big for my son, would a shorter stem work?

qwertyuiop7

Hi,

I have just bought my youngest son an Onza Sting for Christmas.

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/kids_trials_bikes/onza_sting_2013/c507p11940.html

The onza mini master was to small but by the look of him on it on Christmas Day the Sting is a little to big for him still. He will grow into it fairly quickly but to allow him to have better control of it now and not get pi$$ed of with it because he can't do anything on it, would a shorter stem and cutting the bars down help.

The stem on it now looks to be a 35degree 100mm long one so I could swap for a super short 70mm one like

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/26_inch_stems/bbb_forged/c41p11644.html

Or do they do shorter?

Would putting this short stem on this alter the geometry/ handing characteristics of the bike too much and still prevent him from making any progress? I am new to trails and am not really sure where he needs to be positioned on the bike. Or would it be ok

The bars also look really wide, how wide should they be I relation to his shoulder width?

Apologies if this is a bit of a dumb question, dads know nothing after all :-)

Phil

Got a lucky son :)

Shorter stem will help, your local bike shop may have a shorter stem then the 70mm.

When i got my frist mod at around age 10, i was much to short for the stock stem so we put a road bike stem on it.

Did not hamper my riding or progression at the time.

Get get a shorter stem on there, it does affect the geo / handling but for getting the basics and balance it'll be fine.

Bar wise, I'd say just over shoulder width is about right. If he holds his hands out infront of him shoulder width apart with his thumbs in line with his shoulders (his hands are 'over'' shoulder width) I;d go for something like that.

You want as wide as he can get away with, but if his forearms angle out because the bars are too wide thats not good.

Oh, and I don't know what position his bars are in right now but if the rising section is in a vertical position rather than a rolled forward position it'll move his hands closer to his body by a couple cm's

Hi, how tall is you're son? The Sting is for riders between 4' and 5'. Our daughter is 4'5" and all I've done is cut the bars just over shoulder width, rolled the bars back a bit, dropped the stem down a spacer width and adjusted the brakes closer to the bars for her little hands. She seems to manage fine now. Hope he likes it, it's just time on the bike and practice all the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Will be fine with shorter stem and cutting bars down. Also make sure you adjust the brake lever reach so they can ride with one finger on the lever. The other thing to consider is the gearing. It seems a bit high (too hard to pedal). without big expense the best thing is to put a larger rear freewheel on.