Riding technique: Static

stirlingpowers

Rear brake is always on off to help balanece. But at the point of pre load you should apply the brake just for that secound.

I tend to never hold my rear brake. Only the front.

Holding the rear brake will cause your bike to pivot backwards on the rear wheel and if your weights going back when you want it to go forward, the locked rear wheel will act like a fulcrum.

That will never happen once you've got the front hooked over. I'm talking about steep rocks.

Why is that? Surely that stops all the fork / front tyre flex that makes things easier?

They soak up alot of the force you apply. I know it fells like that flex helps. Not when you get steep.

Yes I let the bike flex down a bit when I get settled then lock the rear when so there is some kenetic energy there

Iv tried both ways and now tend do do it with rear brake on

I do have carbon forks so you might find it difference with alloy. Any wAy just what iv found to work best for myself

One addendum:

Using this technique of emphasizing throwing my head and upper body up and back, I can now coust over narrow rails,

i.e. without letting the bike roll on the front wheel for a bit to support the wheel swap.

Thanks again. I had a serious mental block there.

Edited by stirlingpowers