Rockshox Pike advice (the older type)

CurtisRider

I have been after some 140mm forks for my Trance for a while and some Pikes have come up for a tempting price (£100) to replace my current Rebas (which I can sell for the same/more). All I wanted to know was are these good for the money? Is there anything I should look out for with them? I guess I may need a new spring, i'm not sure what they have currently.

They have a 195mm steerer and I know I will need a 20mm hub to go with them.

image6_zpsfb852366.jpeg

image_zps9486bd1b.jpeg

image2_zpsb813f794.jpeg

image1_zpsbe22d13a.jpeg

image3_zpsba521ef5.jpeg

image4_zps0bff99c0.jpeg

image5_zpsd56bbf47.jpeg

Good fork. The only thing you may find with that model is you can only run the travel either top or bottom, if you try in between hights it will slowy move to the low position.

and if you do this too often it will slowly move from the 140/high position too.

if you aren't using the travel adjust then put it in 140 and ziptie the adjuster so it won't move

you actually can convert that model pike to air spring,you´ll only struggle to get tha parts by now.

also if you get a longer spring and a normal,air valve topcap you would be at 140 all the time and having air assist

and you could get the newer motion control unit with the clicky dial and do an "impact mod",if youre going to jump a lot

Edited by FamilyBiker

It's not for jumps really, just wanted something cheap and sturdy with enough travel for my frame. The Rebas flex everywhere but are incredible forks apart from that and I know the Pikes will be a massive downgrade but at least I won't keep clipping my pedals due to a low bb. Air assist would be great, is it literally as easy as shoving on a top cap with these? I did it to some Z3s back in the day and that worked well

well,you´ll need a longer spring as you cant keep the u-turn thingy that sits on the spring when converting it,but thats easy as,just pull the whole thing out in 140mm position and measure it to get the right size spring.

when installing the new spring,just pump a mouthful of 10wt in there to assure its lubricated and cant loose air into the bottom of the legs

Edited by FamilyBiker

• 4 weeks later...

If the marks around the travel printing are scratches, they're pretty f**ked. That'll ruin the seals and will end up just bad. Also converting to air completely is generally a no no as the coil spring would have scratched the internal wall of the stanchion and wouldn't allow the air shaft/seal to seal properly.

The air piston setup the pikes used comes with a seperste air tube that just sits inside the upper leg like a cartridge air system

worth looking into mate.

go on sram.com

bottom left of the screen click "service"

on the next page click "forks" under the rockshox banner.

find the spare parts download it has every rockshox product in exploded view and a list of the parts comparable and available.

good luck with the forks :)

http://www.sram.com/service/rockshox/7

I ended up getting the forks but paid very little for them due to wear on the stanchions. I gave them a service and they seem fine for now, very smooth regardless of huge wear and no leaking noticeable. They will do as stand ins until I have saved for brand new ones, I'm sure they have a few more months of riding left in them with frequent cleans. Cheers for everybodies help!