Chain tensioner help!

williams

Hey!

So this might be a bit of a weird question, but I really don't want to make something wrong and since I haven't touched a chain tensioner for ageeees so I'm quite clueless... :$

I rode my friends Inspired element today, and his chain tensioner where pointing downwards exactly like on the element in the photo below.
661340d1324610729-trials-only-inspired_e

When I get my inspired I want my chain tensioner to sit just below the frame's chainstay like the picture below:
L_Fourplay_Team_Blue_Right_Side.jpg

Is it just for me to cut the chain shorter or what? Or would that cause some problems?

Sorry for a nooby question but I really don't fancy doing something wrong just because of the fact that I didn't have the balls to just ask :)

Cheers!

Yeah just a case of shortening the chain yourself. I don't know what the tensioner included with the bike is like but some have a pin near the bolt that mounts it to hold it in position on the hanger like a normal rear mech so you may have to remove that to get it right up tight.

Yeah just a case of shortening the chain yourself. I don't know what the tensioner included with the bike is like but some have a pin near the bolt that mounts it to hold it in position on the hanger like a normal rear mech so you may have to remove that to get it right up tight.

Oh okey gooood! It's the trialtech one. What pin do you mean?

large_ttsport.jpg

post-24247-0-81613300-1389048442_thumb.j

This, if you understand my ropey Paint skills! It's that pin that the spring tensions itself against holding the tensioner down away from the stay. If you remove the pin and possibly fit a washer as a spacer you can move the tensioner right up tight against the chainstay though not all of them have the pin.