Perfect chain length / wheel position in dropout

register

Hey guys,

Sorry for the noob question:

Just in the process of cutting my chain to the right length, however I'm unsure whether to remove another link or not...

I'm using a frame with built in tensioners, and with the chain at its current (longer) length, the wheel has to be pushed quite far back into the dropout to achieve an ideal chain tension. Alternatively, if I remove another link it'll sit further forward in the dropout, however it'll be a pain to remove the chain when removing the back wheel.

Is there a better option of the two? Is it a negative thing to have the wheel sat right at the back of the dropout? I guess that's what it's there for, but I can't help but feel as if it's kinda... flimsy?!?

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

Should be fine at either point really - often you'll be more limited by where your brake will set up best, primarily if you're using a rim brake. I've seen people with their axle pretty much hanging out the dropouts before and they didn't seem to have any issues so I don't think it's really much of a strength issue (Y)

Hey, thanks for the help guys!

I opted for a touch shorter... Seems to be good, it its shorter than perfect, since the tensioners are only JUST being used by a few mm, but the chain does seem to come off without too much hassle. Good news!

I think a halflink would have been great to get the ideal length, but this will do for now.

Still getting used to built in tensioners, but it seemed to take me an age to get both 1) a good chain tension, and 2) the wheel in square. For some reason tightening the wheel in would seem to tighten the chain considerably, or pull the wheel off square. IS this common, or am I being an idiot? Or both?

Thanks again for the help guys, glad to have a running trial bike again! (for now)

If you make sure your axle bolts are greased and you do them up each side a bit at a time you shouldn't really have any issues like that. If you've got Echo style tensioners, it might be worth putting a bit of threadlock on the tensioner bolts if they're backed pretty far out to help keep them in your frame.