Please help with advice on new second hand frame

littlekarlypilkboid

Hi everyone. So recently I transitioned from 20 inch to 26 inch (best thing I've ever done).

I managed to pick up an Onza T-rex for an amazing price with a good spec. I know these are old and heavy but I couldnt turn it down. £80 - mint frame - Try-all wheels - Hope Hubs - trial tech bar and stem - hs33's bossters ect ect. not to bad for that money I thought. But Now its been 2 months and I have progressed and I am looking for a lighter frame.

I was browsing the net when a "Vario Styx Otacon tf" 26" frame with forks bars and bottem bracket caught my eye. Again its a 2005 frame but for £60 in very good condition and about 30 mins down the road from me. Would this be that much lighter than a 2005 t rex frame or am I better off waiting for somthing better to come along? I really dont have much money to spare hence riding a t rex and looking at buying another old frame.

I am looking for a lighter frame.

Hi, i know you are looking for a lighter frame, but if you are riding a t-rex then every part on that bike will be heavier than a more modern setup. So changing the frame will defo save weight but you will find you still won't be that close to a modern complete. I imagine that as you say you are progressing, you want something more like popular riders are riding. In that case I think it would be better to focus more on the geo of the frame, just get something with a +50mm or more bottom bracket and it will feel totally different.

this is £60 and a good deal imo http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEON-X-RAY-trials-frame-onza-echo-koxx-monty-gu-street-/361334267168?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5421335d20

and pretty modern. There is also a koxx sky (+65 or +70 or so i think) for about £100 in the for sale section.

or look for an echo pure or onza genesis/limey 4 something like that.

Hi, i know you are looking for a lighter frame, but if you are riding a t-rex then every part on that bike will be heavier than a more modern setup. So changing the frame will defo save weight but you will find you still won't be that close to a modern complete. I imagine that as you say you are progressing, you want something more like popular riders are riding. In that case I think it would be better to focus more on the geo of the frame, just get something with a +50mm or more bottom bracket and it will feel totally different.

this is £60 and a good deal imo http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEON-X-RAY-trials-frame-onza-echo-koxx-monty-gu-street-/361334267168?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5421335d20

and pretty modern. There is also a koxx sky (+65 or +70 or so i think) for about £100 in the for sale section.

or look for an echo pure or onza genesis/limey 4 something like that.

hi, thanks for such a help full coment its really apritiated. I had not thought about the whole geo thing up untill reading that so thanks again really helpfull. Fo some reason the kid I bought the bike from had kept the frame for years (obv because he liked the strengh) but upgraded everything els apart from the rims which I gess could be pretty old. I have just bought a typhoon frame with +60 BB so I gess without realising I kinda did the right thing and if its a tad lighter than the rex frame then I'm quids in.

edit: I am also in the fairly long process of upgrading parts but thought I would start with the frame. Thanks again man.

Edited by littlekarlypilkboid