Shimano XT hub QR to bolt on?

PeanuckleJive

First off, hello again! I’m back after nearly a decade off the bike.

I’m building up a mk1 Ashton on a budget, finally got round to getting started today and now I have some issues to resolve. First of all, the rear hub is QR only currently, can I convert it to a bolt on type?

This is my first stock bike so I don’t know 135mm hubs that well.

As much as I would love to upgrade to a proper trials hub I don’t have the dosh to spare right now

Do you know which XT hub it is exactly? Pretty sure it's not possible to convert to 'proper' bolt-on if we're talking Hope Pro 4 style where the 10mm bolts are the axle... However it is possible to convert a standard QR axle to take M6 bolts if you cut new threads into the axle on both sides (pretty simple and cheap to do yourself if you have access to a tap) - so it ends up like this Trialtech hub:

large_trialtechsport02.jpg

Note this silver XT hub below has no spanner flats on the cones, and no external threads on the axle - it's not possible to do the conversion on this style of QR hub because the insides of the axle are shaped to take allen keys:

shimano-deore-xt-t780-rim-brake-rear-hub

But if your hub's axle has threads on the outside and a cone nut with spanner flats on it like this M756A hub - then it's definitely doable - since the inside of the axle is a regular round hole, not hex shaped for allen keys like the silver hub.

HU8427_x1024.jpg?v=1545227489

Hope this helps (Y)

• Like 1

I’m glad you mentioned tapping a thread into it because I’d considered it already anyway! I’ll bring my tapping gear home from work tomorrow and go at it :D

its the latter type with the spanner flats for cone adjustment. I had guessed it to be doable since it wouldn’t be hard to get the current axle out. There isn’t much meat poking out either side of the cone adjusters though which worries me slightly; doesn’t look like there will be much in the dropout!

ill report back tomorrow if I get a chance at it

Edited by PeanuckleJive