Disc mount on a non disc frame...

CurtisRider

I know this will have been covered a million times in the dark history of TF, but I have a stack of old parts and I fancied just putting together something to just mess about on, practicing small stuff and getting my balance good again after a long time off the bike. Not hugely interested in doing proper trials on it, just making my MTB skillset a bit better as I've become really crap.

I had one of those disc mount adaptors spare and whacked it on an old Onza frame that I don't remember even having, there's so much old bike stuff in my shed! As it is I know it is not suitable and I'll end up on my bum and in discomfort but I wondered if anybody had any luck bracing the mount from the rim brake mounts before? I've seen those sorts of braces before and it's dead simple to make one, just not sure if they actually work well enough? Or am I better off just sacking off this idea?

Brace sort of thing:

hqdefault.jpg

Current bodgery:

311121634_2022-12-1021_05_02.thumb.jpg.a6b190960cf424e62778e22a9ff511d7.jpg

For the sake of diy (I love diy) - do it!

You’re very unlikely to achieve a precise positioning of the calliper against the rotor, so you might end up having to experiment with rotor sizes / washers etc but if you take your time in measuring the adapter before you go ahead with fabrication, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

Of course, no matter how well you fix it to the 4 bolt mounts and the rear axle, it will develop some play, especially if the brake bites well. But hey ho, you wouldn’t expect it to work as well as an integrated brake mount anyway.

Keep us posted on your progress and good luck! Needless to say - safety first!

Nas

• 5 months later...