How Do You Remove Freehubs Off The Wheel

onzamad

Hi, i have noticed that when i go to do anything, i get a really horrible grinding noise that feels and sounds like it is coming from the freehub. at first though i thought it was the bb was lose as id only jus fitted it that day (with new cranks), so i tightened that up and it still does it. from ding that it was obviously the freehub as nothing ese woulld make it do that. .: i need a new freehub. can somebody please tell me how to remove it. I took out the bearings just to give me some more space to see what im doing, and on one of the inside the hub on the circumfrence of the bearing cup there are 2 slots 5mm in width, they are also opposite each other. Is this the cup i have to remove to get the feeehub off. if not, how do i do it. the hub is an onza hub that came with my t-raptor.

please dont suggest getting a new hub/wheel eg a chris king or profile, hope etc, because i cant afford a new wheel, so thats not an option at the moment. the reason why im fixing it myself is that i cant afford to take it to a shop.

thanks alot

luke j

Edited by onzamad

what hub is it? :) if it's a shimano or something, remove the lockring, cones and bearings from the non drive side (which i guess you have done) then slide the rest of the axle out (no need to remove the cones from the other side) and i think the freehub body just comes off. the freehub cannot be serviced (on a shimano hub)but Chain reaction do replacement freehub bodies for shimano hubs Here

hope this is of some use to you! :S

Edit: oops i'm blind. I think the Onza hub is similar to a deore, but i dunno :) Supercycles don't have spares for the onza hubs listed on the site, so it might be best to ask them about it

Edited by Wayne-king

If theyre anything like the old DDG hubs, you need to take the axle and bearings out, then go from the non-driveside with a long 12mm (I think its 12, long time since we did it) allen key. Then jump on it, hard :S Depending on how long its been in there, you might need to pop down to the local garage and get them to rattle it off with an air impact wrench.

i sorted it now, there was a bearing cup with a left hand thread on it that had to be screwed out, then freehub body/lots of little bearings just came straight off. Its all re-built etc now. the only thing i was unsure of, is the hub freehub ment to be run with or without grease, i put molybdenum grease in there.

thanks alot for the help,

luke