Dvd Drive Not Working

Toby

right turned on my computer today put in a disc then went to go select the drive in my computer and it was gone, so i had a look in device manager at the dvd drive and it said "windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. the driver may be corrupted or missing. (code 39) , my dvd drive being lg i went on to the web site and found a driver of some sort that didnt do anything, does anyone know whats wrong

its an LG gdr8163b

How long ago did you buy it?

As Monkey says, go into your PC, and check that the power cable (4-way molex thing, black,red,yellow in colour) is firmly in place, and that the IDE cable (wide ribbon cable) is firmly inserted into both the motherboard, and back of the DVD drive.

edit: :">

Edited by Fishwog

maybe meen the drive has just given up? :">

Looks like it. Pioneer are supposed to be really reliable for optical drives though... It won't be a driver issue, as DVD drives work without drivers (I've not had to install CD-ROM drive drivers for years...).

Can you boot from it? If not, try it on a different IDE channel. If none of that works, then it's probably dead. Send it back, if you can...

Looks like it.  Pioneer are supposed to be really reliable for optical drives though...  It won't be a driver issue, as DVD drives work without drivers (I've not had to install CD-ROM drive drivers for years...). 

Can you boot from it?  If not, try it on a different IDE channel.  If none of that works, then it's probably dead.  Send it back, if you can...

ok looks like i will have buy a new one (Y) im skint at the moment so i might have to go for another cheap one