Computer Help

spangler

Well i'm looking at buying a new computer just for editing vids and playing games.

I dont want it to have the internet but i do want it to be super fast i'm looking at getting 3 gigs of ram and fast processor and good video card big hard drive ect.

now my question is i cant seem to find any shops that sell complete computers that are as fast as i want.

I've been looking on ebuyer

but theres that much stuff it just confuses me to be honest.

I understand what i need to buy to build a computer but what i dont understand is all these compatability issues that all the different products have.

so i was wondering if some of you guys could give me a list of the best things i can buy for the money i want to spend.

I'm looking to spend around £1300

cheers!

Andy

so you wanna spend over a grand on a computer ... are you going to build it your self? have you read into what components are top of the range right now? any reviews on current components or technology?

to answer my Questions i`d say no from how you said you want 3 gigs of ram ...... never heard anything to pointless in my life, your gunna spend so much money and someone could completly rip you off very easily. seriously go and do your research.

ill give it a go and spec you something reasonable.

EDIT:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester 90nm (Socket 939) - OEM (CP-112-AM)

£154.95 £154.95

DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-014-DF)

£89.95 £89.95

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 250GB 6B250SO SATA 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-021-MD)

£86.95 £86.95

Asus ATI Radeon EAX800XL/2DTV 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-077-AS)

£249.95 £249.95

NEC ND3520 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM (CD-014-NE)

£33.90 £33.90

Akasa Ultra Quiet 460W Paxpower Active PFC ATX2.0 PSU - Black Nickel with Blue LED Fan (CA-004-AK)

£51.25 £51.25

Kingston HyperX 1GB (2x512MB) DDR PC3500 (KHX3500AK2/1G) CAS2.5 Dual Channel Kit (MY-013-KS)

£185.00 £185.00

Subtotal £851.95

VAT £149.10

Total £1,001.05

you didnt say wether you need a monitor, speakers or keyboard and mouse. but that gives u £300 to play about with and that spec will play any game out at the moment on full spec

Stav

Edited by stav

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester 90nm (Socket 939) - OEM (CP-112-AM) 

£154.95 £154.95 

DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-014-DF) 

£89.95 £89.95 

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 250GB 6B250SO SATA 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-021-MD) 

£86.95 £86.95 

Asus ATI Radeon EAX800XL/2DTV 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-077-AS) 

£249.95 £249.95 

NEC ND3520 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM (CD-014-NE) 

£33.90 £33.90 

Akasa Ultra Quiet 460W Paxpower Active PFC ATX2.0 PSU - Black Nickel with Blue LED Fan (CA-004-AK) 

£51.25 £51.25 

Kingston HyperX 1GB (2x512MB) DDR PC3500 (KHX3500AK2/1G) CAS2.5 Dual Channel Kit (MY-013-KS) 

£185.00 £185.00 

Subtotal £851.95 

VAT £149.10 

Total £1,001.05 

I agree with everying on that list :)

Socket 939

Nforce 4

PCI-Express

:):)

if you want it even faster get a SATA western digital raptor 36gig HD and install the OS and your game files on it, then when playing you will have probably the fastest way that money can spend of accessing data ( thats without spending loads of money on scsi or those flat wide hard drives) those raptors are fricking quick!

Stav

Edited by stav

sorry if i annoyed you with my noobie approach to computers lol.

as you rightly guessed i am new to buying computer bits and i dont want to get ripped off, but thats why i came here for advice before i went and spent my money on some junk that looked fancy.

can i ask why 3 gigs of ram is too much? is it because nothing needs to run that quick.

i already have the moniter keyboard ect. i just need the tower

another thing, were you speccing that from any shop of one shop in perticular because i'd like to get it all from the same place.

thanks alot for the help and advice.

can i ask why 3 gigs of ram is too much? is it because nothing needs to run that quick.

another thing, were you speccing that from any shop of one shop in perticular because i'd like to get it all from the same place.

It's not a case of speed, it's just the fact that nothing can fill 3GB of stuff, so it'd be mostly redundant. Not to mention the fact that if you have that much RAM, it'll actually be slower than 1GB of decent RAM. So Just get 1GB. The only reason to get more RAM would be for heavy-duty photoshopping or CAD or something.

And you can get all that stuff from any online shop I'm sure. The price's will all be similar. Most people would say Ebuyer, but I'm not a fan. Try overclock.co.uk, aria.co.uk, microdirect.co.uk, komplett.co.uk, scan.co.uk etc.

The spec with the AMD Socket 939 is good and all but... being an Intel fanboy (yes gay I know) it might be worth waiting a few more months as the Intel Smithfeild Xxx are coming out in april time last I heard. This is a 2.0 ghz Dual Core and will run on a new Intel socket which should be the nForce 5. AMD are also bringing out a Dual Core then but I am no sure what it is and its on a new socket 1208 (I think) some large number in the thousands.

Also you have chosen two very different types of things to do with your computer. Video Editing and Gaming. Intel would be better for Video Editing/Photoshop etc but the AMD would play games better.

IMO I would wait until the dual cores are out and get an Intel :)" Dont be put off by the 2ghz, each core is 2ghz, sharing 2mb of cache so each core has 1mb of cahce and all the MMX,SSE1/2/3 technology and EM64T

Sorry for mild essay.

The spec with the AMD Socket 939 is good and all but... being an Intel fanboy (yes gay I know) it might be worth waiting a few more months as the Intel Smithfeild Xxx are coming out in april time last I heard.  This is a 2.0 ghz Dual Core and will run on a new Intel socket which should be the nForce 5.  AMD are also bringing out a Dual Core then but I am no sure what it is and its on a new socket 1208 (I think) some large number in the thousands.

yes but when that comes out it will be very expensive plus when it comes down in price someone else will just say oh something new is coming out wait for that and the problem just goes on and on and on, im taking what i think is best and mostly proven best for just over a grand. AMD v Intel war has gone on for ages but via bench marks and over test`s for gaming AMD 64bit stand in a league of there own right now. oh and if anyone says go SLI dont bother it hasn`t even been properly devoloped yet and is performin way under its potential.

www.overclockers.co.uk is where i got the price from and they are one if not the best computer shops around there prices are very good but also there after sale and helpfulness is amazing unlike other shops mentioned on here before.

if you need any more help add me stav_13@hotmail.com on msn.

Stav

look no further than boxxtech

They make custom built pc/servers for all kinds of media editing etc. Take a look.

Boxx Tech

Seriously... if you can afford it look no further.

why pay extra money to get someone to build you a computer when you can do it your self? they are very easy to build aslong as you read the manuals and have some common sense.

Stav

The spec with the AMD Socket 939 is good and all but... being an Intel fanboy (yes gay I know) it might be worth waiting a few more months as the Intel Smithfeild Xxx are coming out in april time last I heard.  This is a 2.0 ghz Dual Core and will run on a new Intel socket which should be the nForce 5.  AMD are also bringing out a Dual Core then but I am no sure what it is and its on a new socket 1208 (I think) some large number in the thousands.

Also you have chosen two very different types of things to do with your computer.  Video Editing and Gaming.  Intel would be better for Video Editing/Photoshop etc but the AMD would play games better.

AMD64s are way better for games though, and the difference for video editting is minimal, at best. If you are doing 100% media stuff, it might be worth getting a P4. But you're not...

Athlon 64's over any other thing, in my opinion, much better than Intel.

Can you think of the amount of programs you'd have to have open to use 3 gigs of ram? Lots...

The Spec that Stav said will be very fast and run any game. If youve got the money, get a Serial ATA drive, you wont get anything faster without going into RAID.

while im here, anyone interested in a Athlon - Mobile, 2400+?

I definately agree that you could spend the money for the 3gig of ram better elsewhere. There are plaent of programs out there that need that kind of capacity (I run a few of them myself), but not the ones you are talking of. Video editing might run smoother with a little more, but you're hardly gonna struggle with 1gig, and games will run just fine.

My pc has 1gig of ram installed and the only time I ever push it to the limit is when doing CAD (and even then it has to be with a largish model or assembly).