Shuttle Help

Tom-ass

Im soon building a shuttle and it takes alot of time sifting through all the different barebones models and types of hardware... so I thought id request the views of people who already have evidence based opinions. Not intended for gaming use, just work and media so I thought...

I have no opinion regarding AMD/Intel

around 2.5ghz would be nice

512 ddr (corsair) would also be nice

around 120gb

is a DVD-RW needed?... just a player would probably suffice

cheapness is a significant factor

What model and hardware would people recommend? Do you think a shuttle would be a good idea? Tips?

thanks for any help, :closedeyes:

Tom

Edited by Tom-ass

Bear in mind that I don't really know anything about Intels, so this is very biased towards the AMD shuttles.

If you can get hold of an AthlonXP 2500+, then get that. Unfortunately, they're being phashed out and you might be forced to go down the Athlon64 route, with the SN85G4, which means a lot more £££.

But anyway, AthlonXP-wise, you have 2 real options. Yhe SN45G would be the better option for gaming, but if you're going for media only, you could just get the SN41G2 which has onboard video, and is a bit more expensive. Apart from the video, there is little difference. The 41 looks nicer, but the 45 is slightly faster (better for overclocking, anyway). So it's too close to call. I'd probably go for the SN45 and then put the money you saved to a cheap video card. It'll work out roughly the same price and probably be slightly faster :).

RAM: Anything Corsair should be OK, but Shuttles + Crucial don't mix.

Go for a DVD writer. They're dirt cheap these days (16x for <£40), there really is no excuse not to get one.

Hope that helps (N)

Bear in mind that I don't really know anything about Intels, so this is very biased towards the AMD shuttles.

If you can get hold of an AthlonXP 2500+, then get that.  Unfortunately, they're being phashed out and you might be forced to go down the Athlon64 route, with the SN85G4, which means a lot more £££.

But anyway, AthlonXP-wise, you have 2 real options.  Yhe SN45G would be the better option for gaming, but if you're going for media only, you could just get the SN41G2 which has onboard video, and is a bit more expensive.  Apart from the video, there is little difference.  The 41 looks nicer, but the 45 is slightly faster (better for overclocking, anyway).  So it's too close to call.  I'd probably go for the SN45 and then put the money you saved to a cheap video card.  It'll work out roughly the same price and probably be slightly faster :).

RAM:  Anything Corsair should be OK, but Shuttles + Crucial don't mix.

Go for a DVD writer.  They're dirt cheap these days (16x for <£40), there really is no excuse not to get one. 

Hope that helps  (N)

lol mines got crucial , should i be worried :P