Cant Choose Which Graphics Card

pashley pro

well basically my graphics card is crap when i play NFSU2 the graphics are like worse than the PS one. I dont really wanna go over the £100 mark i was looking at a radeon 9600 pro256mb

How much difference does the MB make ?

And could you please also tell me which graphics card you recommend what it could overclock to

Thanks alot for the help

Well Im not sure how much it costs but you could always buy a GeForce 6200TC and flash it to a 6600GT or 6600 as it is the same NV44 core. Ive only read about this being done and havnt done it myself. I read it on Neowin somewhere in the forums. So dont flame me about all the different memory stuff ie its only 64bit compared to 128/256bit whatever the 6200 is etc.

Otherwise how about a 5900 if you can? Not sure on price.

the radeons are quite good for overclocking if you either buy one that is underclocked to begin with (like my 9550 is an underclocked 9600) or get a better heatsink and fan for it.

I've managed to get the same performance from my 9550 as a stock 9600, but for less money obviously, but at the expense of any sort of warranty.

if you go for the cheapest card in any range (SE for ati's, XT for Nvidia) then check the bit rate of the processor is the same as that of the normal and faster cards in the range, otherwise you will find the performance being not exactly groundbreaking when compared to the other cards in the same numbering bracket.

A 6600GT is better for the money than a 9800Pro at the moment. But just get a 9600pro or 9800 or something. As Andy said, avoid the SE cards. And there's no way you're gonna be able to unlock a 6200TC (£50 ish) to a 6600GT (£130 ish). As Danny said, don't bother overclocking it, it's more trouble than it's worth, unless you're experienced (I.e. Not you. No offense).

I've got NFSU2 and a a fairly beasty computer and I still think the PS2 version looks nicer. Obviously, the PC has much higher res, but the PS2 version is brighter and generally a bit smoother.

And don't bother with getting a 256 MB card. Just save the money and get 128mb.

ati 9600 all the way...if you can get the Pro? or if you can stretch a bit. then 9800 will be your next option. not worth going above them, becasuse the next card with a major difference is about 150ish. so 9600, or 9800 will be fine. of cours everyone says about overclocking. but for ease, and less cooing required, go 9800 imo.

Ash