Quick Question On Ram

giptown

Just a quick question:

I have a 2-3 year old computer and want to upgrade the RAM from 256MB to 512MB or above. I have an Athlon XP 1600+ processor which i think has a bus speed of 266MHz, and so does my current RAM (DDR266 X 1). Can i just buy any DDR RAM, eg. PC2100 or PC3200 and add that as an extra DIMM? Or will i need to find some older RAM or replace what i currently have.

Thanks for any help.

Eddie

Hi there.

The FSB on the XP 1600s is 266, i think, so as long as you buy any DDR Memory with a FSB speed of 266 (PC2100), you should be ok. Find out if what youve allready is buffered or unbuffered, and get a stick that matches what youve already got.

Just make sure your motherboard supports the amount of memory you are buying.

Also if your running Win98, it wont support any more than 512MB RAM, unless you do some registry editing...

Crucial is good!

Also ebuyer is a great site!

Thanks for your replies. It's a computer i built myself, but it was ages ago and i can't remember whether the RAM i used is buffered or un-buffered. Is there anyway i can find out? It doesn't say on the DIMM itself.

My Motherboard suppots 1024MB (1GB) or RAM so no worries there.

Im running WinXP Pro not Win98.

Yes, if your computer is running at 400FSB (I.e. anything relatively new), and you use PC2100, you'll be really raping the memory bandwidth. If you're on a slower PC that only has an FSB of 266, then it won't make any difference running PC2100 or PC4000.