Agp Or Pci Express?

Ingram

Hi, im debating weather to go for AGP or PCI express, this is the kink of set up id get;

AGP Mother Board

Graphics Card

PCI EXPRESS Mother Board / Or this one

Graphics Card (Top One)

I've herd that pci express is going to rule over agp and all that, but is there anydiference in performance? Also what fits in the pci express x1 slots? Thanks loads for your helpp and thank you loads Tomm for helping, Cheers again, Jake

P.S Also which mother board out of the pci express is better? Cheers again

Edited by Ingram

For those prices, definitely the PCI-e setup, as it's cheaper than the AGP one. As for the motherboards, not really sure. The Asus board has a slightly newer chipset (nf4sli rather than the nf4. Don't ask me what the difference is, but I assume newer = better...) Asus have a very good reputation though, and it is slightly cheaper :lol:

Go for the NF4 and not the NF4SLi as the NF4 is still pretty new technology and as all new pc bits it's having teething problems :lol:

You've probably already heard of it, but eBuyer is cheaper than OcUK so you could save some money there. Also, go for the nVidia 6800 LE and then overclock it to 6800 GT speeds, saving you some £150 pounds from the price of a 6800 GT and about another £150 from the price of the X800XL.

Hope this helps :lol:

Surely the NF4 SLI supports SLI (scaleable link interface i think). I read an article about it a few weeks ago. Basically it means you can run two identical GForce cards which increases gaming performance. I will try to find the article, as they tested various setups.

Like i say i will try to verify this.

EDIT:

Can't find the same review but i have just found another which states that if you buy one GForce 6800GT card, you can effectivly double its gaming performance (when tested in HL2, FarCry and Doom3 anyway) by adding another 6800GT at a later date.

Note: to run twin cards in SLI mode, both cards must be exactly the same model from the same manifacturer.

So in answer to your question, i would got for the mother board that supports NF4SLI because it gives you room to upgrade at a later date.

Edited by giptown

If you buy AGP your basically buying into a dead end technology.  Its like buying a AMD Socket A processor now.  Just get PCI-E :lol:

Like s754 it would seem :lol:

eBuyer is most definitely not always cheaper than OcUK. People presume it is, and orger without checking the prices elsewhere. But I found some graphics cards that were over £50 cheaper at OcUK...

ok thanks for all your help guys greatly apreciate it, i have made my final decision for this mother board,

"Ding"

Could you just back my decision up please, dont wanna buy a rubbish one.

Alternatly it would be this one due to the good reviews it has had (his friends Sapphire ATI X800XT card being better than his two Gainward Gforce 6600GT on exactly the same setup,)

"Ding"

Thanks again for all your time and help apreciate it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: Thank you todge :"> :lol:

Edited by Ingram

I'd go for the ASUS...

The X800XT is probably faster than two 6600GT in SLI anyway. The 6600GT isn't massively powerful (About the same as a 9800pro), and running two in SLI does NOT double the speed. Might be as low as a 50% increase. So basically, you would expect the x800XT to be faster anyway...

I disagree. In all the reviews i have read, the 6800GT comes out above the X800 XT. And at over £50 cheaper (might not be everywhere, but the prices i am quoting from the review in PC Pro) it seems like the better card, plus you can improve its performance at a later date if you need to buy adding another card.

Personally i would try and get hold of a 6800Ultra, but apparently they are very rare.

I disagree. In all the reviews i have read, the 6800GT comes out above the X800 XT. And at over £50 cheaper (might not be everywhere, but the prices i am quoting from the review in PC Pro) it seems like the better card, plus you can improve its performance at a later date if you need to buy adding another card.

You are reading funny reviews. Generally, most people tend to trust THG.

Anyway, that aside, we were talking about the 6600GT not the 6800GT :lol:

But surely the 6800GT is better than the 6600GT, and is still cheaper than the X800XT. I know you were talking about the 660, but i wasn't.

Oh, I get you now. Yeah, I would probably go for 6800Ultra or something for that money, but I think he was his heart set on a radeon :lol:

I'd go for the ASUS...

The X800XT is probably faster than two 6600GT in SLI anyway.  The 6600GT isn't massively powerful (About the same as a 9800pro), and running two in SLI does NOT double the speed.  Might be as low as a 50% increase.  So basically, you would expect the x800XT to be faster anyway...

indeed soo, the x800xt was the fastest vga chip on the market, and has only been beaten by the x850xt id still go for agp....

Ash

right, its final pci express it is, ive ordered graphics card (one special offer this week) and i will get a a besty psu :D if you gonna do it, you might as well do it properly (N)" :D haha Thanks again guys apreciate it.