The Mental Side To Trials

ERgoSuM

This may be of help to some of you.

Its an article that looks at self belief and the mental aspect of sport and competition sport. If like me you know your physically capable but your mind is inhibiting you, then take a look in, this could be of help.

A basic technique i've learnt from the article, which i utilise when riding is to say in my mind, what i believe im going to do , or what i believe i am, as a rider. For example, " i believe i can make this up to rear wheel, like second nature, as naturally as possible, im naturally superb at trials" or " i believe im the best rider out of this group of riders" and when trackstanding "i believe i can effortlessly balance here in the same spot and catch my breath" .

I dont want to blabble on all day about what i think and believe, have a read.

http://www.positivehealth.com/permit/Artic...NLP/cohen39.htm

nice one :D I get the same feeling some times, I feel there is a mental barrier stopping my body from rideing the way i want.

Strange, but then that just about sums up the human brain. :D

I haven't fully read it, but i read a bit about writing all your acomplishments down, which i cant be botherd with to be perfectly honest.

I have one of the lowest confidence levels when i'm riding. Theres stuff that i can do easily, but never had the confidence (guts) to do it. But i'm getting there slowly but surely. At least i'm less likely to hurt my slef. :blink:

Yeh, mental ability is what makes trials so hard though. Confidence is most peoples main let down i think, some times mine to.

I often find myself getting angry when trying something repeatedly and not making it, also i just end up doing the basica move that i use for lower stuff, not the proper technique.

This excact thing happened last night. I was trying to back wheel 8 blue pallets and I couldnt do it. At first I thought to myself ''fair enough it is quite high after all''. But on second thought, I relised its wasnt my strength holding me back, it wasnt entirerly my ability in the move itself, and it wasnt my bike.

So I sat there in a daydream thinking about it to myself and thinking about seeing others do it and how the move should be done following the 'textbook' method on how to front touch high.

Next attempt i got it straight to back wheel, a little bit of concentration is all it took.

Problem was i was just doing what I'd do when front touching 5 pallets.

Simple :blink:

(doesnt mean a little more thought would enable me do 9 though)

(doesnt mean a little more thought would enable me do 9 though)

I understand what you mean, but you've shot yourself in the foot with the last sentence in brackets, (on some angles). If you dont believe you can do 9, you never will, it will only be on lucky occassions when you nail it. On the other hand i understand where your coming from on a different angle on the same level, sure, you cant think a little about how to backwheel 9 pallets and then do it right away, but when you get up to doing it, if you dont believe you can do it, then most likely it wont happen. I see what you mean though.

Its a shame theres so little content on training the mind in comparison to training the body, e.g. your riding technique, after all, that is half the battle, in theory, and in reality if we trained our minds as much as we did our bodies, e.g. muslce memory and pedal timings etc. we'd be such better, more professional, more consistent riders.

That TRA article sounds awesome, i love that guy.

self confidence is sooo true!!

many of the great trials riders have a different way of thinking to you average rider.

i find ... my riding is held back by the fear factor.. the..

"im gonna do this wrong and seriously hurt myself!"

i blame it on once being put into hospital after a head injury in trials.

but day by day im working on getting better?

maybe i'll try working on my confidence etc.

i find alot of good riders..dont have a fear factor... or very little of it.

Example james porter!! lol

lil ginger 15-16 yr old nutcase... does things i think...f*ck that.. u'll kill yaself!!

the kids a legend! (Y)

Tom.

TRA is a very inspiring young man!Hes got endless great advice for nearly everyone! i bow down to the lad! ;) (Y)

along with that article, deffinatly what stops most people is mental blocks.

i was out riding with bucky and a few people last night and was doing a big drop and was thinking to myself that i cant do it its way too big but got onto the end of the wall and thort well why not? wots the worse that can happen? you have to challenge your mind and tell it that what your doing is right and you can do it.

Waynio......................

I have to agree with everyones comments!!!!

Confidence is what determines your good days from your bad days but if you as ways have confidence and the right frame of mind there will not be any bad days and therefore there will be no good days neither.....