Rear V-brake

jel

I was just wondering if any one uses a grind with a rear v-brake? At the mo, i have Avid ultimate clapiers with heatsink pads. Also, would it be any better on a chrome rim instead of just a standard rim?

Cheers,

Josh.

My mate recently changed from a rear magura with plazmatic pads on a ground d521 to a rear xtr v brake and lever on the same rim, with koolstop pads and an xtr carbon booster. When i had a go on it at the weekend it felt quite nice, it locked well so i would say go for one, it would only be crap if the grind was worn or very light.

seb from brighton has a avid ultimate, xtr lever and heatsink pads on the rear. hes just grinded it an its sweet as! it was raining and my zoo pads were sliding all over (Y) and his were still strong and predictable.

but then again it was alright without a grind to. the winters going now so theres less need for a grind. its just when water gets on ur pads and rim.

its really personal choice. personally ive never seen the need for a grind apart from in the rain. but its up to u, try it on an old rim, have a few hops and see what u think.

Yeah , I run V-Brakes on a lightly ground Mavic D-521 . Excellent , predictable stopping power .V-Brakes are hugely underrated , but correctly set up with good cables and pad alignment , they can be plenty powerful , while retaining light weight . Pad and cable choice are crucial .

With my old set up;

Avid ultimate calipers,

XTR lever,

XTR hosing,

Echo booster

and V-fly pads.

Originally on a grind which i then left to become a very worn grind. Ran this set up for 9months, and in all that time didnt touch my brake once and im not even exagerating and my brake was awesome and never slipped, felt great etc. :D

It was best when the grind was very worn, but come rain and wet my brake started to slip, so never really rode in the wet.

My pads by now where well very worn (Y)" so i thought id give the heatsink pads a go. When receiving them imediatly noticed how much harder the compound was and resembled the koxx bloxx. Tried it on my "smooth" rim and lock wasnt great. So i whacked a grind on and well now my brake works really well. On wednesday rode with Andy (killbobuk) and was raining :P but my rear break still worked amazing, was real happy about that, never had a brake to work well in the wet, only problem my front v on a ceramic goes uber poo in the wet.

Imo heatsink pads are too hard to run on a smooth rim on the rear, i think they would be prefect on the front with a light grind which i will do once i get a new rim.

In summary, rear grind on "std" pads NO... pads will go in <a couple of rides. rear grind using any of the decent v pads YES :-

Seb

i run avid ultimate levers with clarks cables and sd7 arms, with spainish Mcfly pads (untill i get heatsinks :-) and i must say it took it a while but my it is finaly pretty damn sweet, pads are pants but when i get heatsinks it'll be even better i'm sure (Y)

oh and i run a ground ronnie

Edited by Scott@eastcoasttrials.com

I have never used Heatsinks so I can't comment or compair but I used to run v-flys on a grind and it was a crazy brake

when crv's start selling again then get some of those because they are better again :-

grind that rim (Y) if you don't like it grind it smooth :D easy as that