Front Hops

Tomm

I was wondering if anyone had any amazing tips for turning on the front wheel? My balance on the front wheel is OK and getting better, but I can't turn for the life of me. I know it'll mostly likely be a question of practise (like with turning on the back wheel - VERY hard to explain), but if anyone's got any tips, that'd be cool :D

Do what you're doing at the moment, but pull back, inwards to your body a bit more than usual, and twist the bars just before you exit the ground type thing, as you lighten the weight on the front, if you see what I'm saying? And to keep it, you just need to keep pulling the bars back into your body.Also, keep thinking of yourself like chucking your legs out sidewards, to reinforce the circle motion type thing.

Kind of :D

Edited by Dave Gill

Given my forum name , I feel obliged to offer my assistance .

Presuming you can endo-hop fairly confidently already , rotating shouldn't be hard . As Dave Gill suggests above , use your feet to keep nudging the rear wheel around .

The really important thing though , is to rotate slightly at take off already . As if you were doing a small front pivot , this momentum will stay with you as you start to hop . It's much harder to rotate once you've started hoppin ' . Feels and looks great when you get it . Have fun .

• 3 months later...

Bump from ages ago:

Anyone else got any more ideas? I'm still having trouble. If I start with an endo-turn thing, I can make about 180 hopping. I don't lose my balance, but I can't for the life of me work out how you carry on turning/start turning whilst hopping (Y)

If I`ve got the right end of this topic, you are front hoping and turning circle whilst hoping on the front wheel.

Try this, as you hop up (front wheel of the ground) turn the bars say an inch or two the direction you want to hop around, when you land the rear should straighten up inline with your front wheel, when you hop up again do the same.

Make the turning of the bar small enough to feel comfortable and large enough to have circular movement whilst hoping.

You should learn turning towards your front foot. Then you can hook your rear foot under the chainstay - that sometime helps. Also if you land with the bars turned 'ahead' of you, then your body naturally wants to straighten up and back end swings round. Then hop again and turn the bars again....

'Tis tricky to be sure , one of those moves that has no practical applications , yet looks kick ass and helps all other aspects of riding / balance . You ride 24 " ? Does the geometry perhaps make this unusually difficult ?

Aside from nudging the rear end with your ankles and little twists at the bar , I guess this one's gonna call for a whole load of practice . Unlike most moves , which require the rider stay kinda loose , it may help top "lock "your arms rigid . I remember being amazed to see Lenosky do this on the Evolve video ...aah , the memories ...

'Tis tricky to be sure , one of those moves that has no practical applications , yet looks kick ass and helps all other aspects of riding / balance . You ride 24 " ? Does the geometry perhaps make this unusually difficult ?

Nah, I don't think so. It's really nice on the front wheel (compared to my Koxx anyway). I went for a 74* head angle, so it's much nicer than the 70* on the koxx for front wheel stuff.

I do reckon I just need to practise, but I have no idea where to start. I've tried before and just got nowhere, need someone to point me in the right direction. Got a few things to try now anyway :huh:

Can you front hop consistantly and recover from moving too far forwards/backwards/sideways?

Yeah I could just about, although I've not really tried for a while. I reckon I'll be better at it now, so yes. I just can't quite get the turn in. But I have a few things to look at, gonna go out and try in a bit (Shoulder's too broken to ride properly :huh: ).