Why Why Why

Ali C

I have been wanting to make trialvs vids gor 4 years now, 3 years ago I bought a camcorder thinking I would then be able to do exactly that.....how wrong I was!

I got a camcorder, filmed stuff, and to my dissapointment I need more stuff to make vids. I then got myself a firewire card installed to my computer and got a DVi cable. Surely now I could edit vids? nope, Media player still says there is no device attached to the computer >_<

I then went and bought myself a new computer earlier this year, I asked for a firewire card to be fitted, but I am pretty sure one wasnt.

What I want to know is exactly what I need to make vids? Do I just use a DVi cable or do I need the usb cable as well?

The camcorder came with software but I am pretty sure it was just for usb purposes to extract still pictures. Am I missing a cd that will let me get my beloved footage? (its a JVC GR-1800 btw)

If I was to get a new firewire card, which should I get?

I think thats all the questions, but if thers anything I need to know, please tell me.

Ta taa

i would imagine that your firewire card would come with software that would allow you upload it from your camera to your computer into a folder.

but if not then search warez for some software that would let do so.

guy

You should need:

-Camera

-Firewire card

-DVi cord

-Software, like Adobe Premiere, Pinnacle Studio, Windows Movie Maker or VirtualDub.

Are you on WinXP? if you're on an older version of Windows you might have to install some drivers for the camera?

That should work, if not, I dunno. :S

I guess you've read the instructions for the camera? If it's on Windows XP, you should just have to plug the cable into the firewire port and turn the camera on, and windows should make a nice noise and install the drivers. Unless there's something wrong with either the camera or the fireiwre port. Go on control panel, network settings. Is there anything that says firewire (or IE339 or something, I forget the exact code)? Or just the internet connection?

What you need is ...

DV cable

Firewire card

And adobe premier 6.5 / windows movie maker

Could be if your running windows 2000 or earlyer, XP seams to just get on with it and find any thing u jam in.

Me and Fatmike had this problem he had had the camera for around a year never been used to capture footage, so we got it round mine pluged it in and no luck .

Pluged my camera in and it worked turned out his dv plug was broken.

Could of happened to yours ??

Try it in a mates pc if no luck go to a camera shop and get them to check it out.

Sam

its a brand new computer with xp, when I lug my camera in, nothing comes up. It does with my digital camera.

I think the problem is I dont have firewire, there is no port at the back of the computer (though there is a dv cable port on the front).

I dont have adobe, but I do have movie maker (want to change though).

Danny Smith can capture footage on his computer with my camera, but Iolo cant on his computer, its very random (Y)

its a brand new computer with xp, when I lug my camera in, nothing comes up. It does with my digital camera.

I think the problem is I dont have firewire, there is no port at the back of the computer (though there is a dv cable port on the front).

The socket on the front of your PC probably isn't actually connected to anything inside the PC. Either that or the drivers aren't installed. Go on Control Panel - System, Hardware, device manager, and try and find something that says IE394/firewire or something to that effect. Or possibly an unknown device with an exclamation mark.