Lever Travel

philking

Just a quick answer needed from someone who knows what their talking about.

Ok basically, i have a front hope trial brake and it works a treat, however, i want to make it so there is less lever travell, i.e it doesn't pull as far. I know the lever reach feels like it has the same effect, but it is already too far out to reach easily, and thats not what i am getting at.

Also i have tried removing the wheel and pulling the lever a few times so the pistons auto adjust inwards. This works well... for about ten seconds, then they just adjust outwards again.

So is there anything i can do 'cause my lever is presently pulling 1 inch, and for me thats just too much.

Thanks in advance.. any help appreciated!

Ok i see what you are saying.

Just one other thing then, would it be possibe to 'underfill' the system? if so i think i may have done that cause it is pulling further than it used to before i bled it. I am pretty sure there is no air in it. Is it to do with pushing the pistons back in before bleeding? I just really don't want it to pull so far. How would it be possible to overfill it?

Also, how come all discs (of the same make) feel different travel wise? in theory they should all travel exactly the same distance?

Also, how come all discs (of the same make) feel different travel wise? in theory they should all travel exactly the same distance?

Because they have different size pistons (thats if your talking about different models of the same brand)

I still love the way i can adjust my C2 just by twiddleing the knob on the top of it. Supprised they didnt make the mono trial a closed system.

I know what you mean about having less travel in the lever. I have an extra long srew in my hss33 to achieve a shorter reach for that. With my Hope trial I find its ok because its a disc you can hold the lever where you feel comfortable and it doesnt rub to much. Its hard explain, but like pulling the lever very gently and holding at the comforable distance.

I know what you mean about having less travel in the lever. I have an extra long srew in my hss33 to achieve a shorter reach for that. With my Hope trial I find its ok because its a disc you can hold the lever where you feel comfortable and it doesnt rub to much. Its hard explain, but like pulling the lever very gently and holding at the comforable distance.

You know there are things on brake levers to adjust the lever to where it starts its travel, they're called reach adjusters. :turned:

If your refering to the grub srew at the top of the hs33 blade, then yes I know. The grub srew wasn't long enough for me so I took it out and put a small srew in there to get the extra length.

Yes I know that, but I think what the problem he is describing is the amount the lever travels before any contact/bite. Regarless of where the lever starts it has the same amount of travel.

I have just got my mono trial today. i would ratehr have less lever movement untill it bites too but i have just ajusted it untiol it's at the maximum i can reach. it feels fine now you just have to get used to it :turned: -Hugh

I know that too, I wans't suggesting that as a solution to the guy who started the threads problem, but to what you said, about holding the lever in a little. It's better to adjust the reach.

The problem is that by doing that you change the position of where the brake bites. e.g. If you adjust the reach reach further in then the brake will lock further in. If you see what I mean.