V-brake Levers

Bionic Balls

I've tried the search, but there are well over 1000 topics with xtr/lever/brake/sd7/better etc in them, and finding a specific answer would take me weeks....

so, which would you recommend? The sd7 is slightly cheaper, but which is more comfortable?adjustable?stiffer? etc..

cheers,

adam

It all depends on the rider, I have an xt lever (same shape as an xtr) and I love it, but I wish it wasn't hollowed out, cos it hurts if you crush your fingers.

But I have an SD5 on me jump bike and I like that too. I just prefer me xt lever, just try them on other bikes and see. (Y)

I like the shape of the shimano ones too. In all honesty, XTR ones are no better than XT. They are just a bit pimper and last longer. Although my XT levers have lasted over 5 years, I only got an XTR because I could :">

I prefer XTR because of the rounded feel - a lot more comfortable in my opinion.

As far as performance goes the shimano levers and the avids are basically the same it just comes down to looks and feel at the end of the day.

If you like magura levers go for the XTR because the shape is so similar but if you hate magura levers go for Avid.

I guess that's the simplest way to explain feel really (Y)

I'd say a XTR as after a while the SD7 goes all wobbly and horrible like mine has where as my friends XTR is still perfect and rappable  :P

Alex

I just put a small washer and sorted the problem out.

Is there any place that does avid 7's or their own?

I have XT levers front and back and they feel so nice i like v-brakes better then HS33 but thats my opion, XT levers are good they have really fat lever blades which is good because thin lever blades hurt my fingers.

You can get a Avid SD7 lever from www.chainreactioncycles.co.uk.

Gaz :P

Edited by gazmaz03

I have XT levers front and back and they feel so nice i like v-brakes better then HS33 but thats my opion, XT levers are good they have really fat lever blades which is good because thin lever blades hurt my fingers.

You can get a Avid SD7 lever from www.chainreactioncycles.co.uk.

Gaz >_<

Sorry i meant on it's own, as in one. They only do the pair on CRC.

• 2 weeks later...
I think SRAM levers are worth a mention, i have a 7.0 on mine with an xtr canti an it works a beast. They're made of some kind of plastic/composite material, really comfy and you can pick em up cheap too.

How long have you had this lever? I had mine for about a year, when summer time came it melted all over my bars, making the lever UNUSABLE.

AVOID, these levers WILL MELT.

I had this problem too! I was riding in the heat of the summer, just riding along and then the lever just burst into flames and melted! Good job I was wearing gloves or else it could of hurt :) ;)

Avoid this kind of composite material, you'll regret it and may not have a hand to make gestures with! AVOID like AIDS.

Tom

I had this problem too! I was riding in the heat of the summer, just riding along and then the lever just burst into flames and melted! Good job I was wearing gloves or else it could of hurt  :)  ;)

Avoid this kind of composite material, you'll regret it and may not have a hand to make gestures with! AVOID like AIDS.

Tom

Haha, I remember that, it allmost singed my eyebrows, it just kind of like spontaneously combusted, it was f**ked up.

SRAM levers are crap, they're made of some seriosly f**ked up material... It's like plastic explosives or something.

Edited by Adamm

I have both, one very old XTR lever from ebay and its a million times better than the SD7 thats fairly new.

Nicer feel, more responsive, stiffer, smoother, no wobble, but im not 100% sure on the rounded feel but I'll get used to it.

From experience the XTR lever is much better quality. I run one on my Avid and its lovely, really smooth, very comfy minimal design too. My friends SD7 is rattling lose and moves a good 1cm to 2cm up and down and about 0.5cm before it actually begins to pull the cable on his disc.

I would get the XT/XTR (same except colour basically) as its a better quality than the SD7. The Ultimatemight be better but its too expensive.

No if you scroll down then it will be seprate.

Gaz (Y)

The SD 5 is there but not the 7.

Anyway, bought it now.

And one is for sale in forsale / wanted.

Edited by JT!