Cad Tachnicians

TomR

Ive been offered this job with training for £11,250 a year, but i can see it getting very boring... Any opinions?

Well I dont do this but if you train and get experience you can make mega money later on with contracts and stuff my old engineering teacher was on around £50k but that was with a mech engin degree

The engineers at the small company I worked for last year got payed about £17,000. I got payed less as I was a student.

The majority of jobs that involve CAD may be higher payed but that will be because they are doing more than just the computer work.

As for the job getting boring, it would depend on the variaty of things you were modelling, similar things day in day out would get boring very quickly, but if there is a good variaty then as long as you enjoy CAD then it shouldn't be a problem.

i do quite alot of cad at college and i find staring at a computer screen for hours can he very strenuous on the eyes  :P

but i guess if getn one of those special light things by your computer you should be ok :D

ta

Will

Also be aware of RSI (repetitive strain injury) in the wrist, caused by the constant use of a mouse and keyboard. Luckily I didn't suffer from it, but many of the people I worked with did.

Well i cant say i particularly enjoy cad much.. but who knows, it all depends who you work with.

As forwhat id be doing, its a civil engineering company who mainly deal with drainage etc.. so drain systems which are pretty boring..

Well i cant say i particularly enjoy cad much.. but who knows, it all depends who you work with.

As forwhat id be doing, its a civil engineering company who mainly deal with drainage etc.. so drain systems which are pretty boring..

It wouldnt be WSP Development would it? Cos if it is, thats who I work for and infrastructure is what I do! Its well worth it, the company is really good, well set up and very hot on training which means you will be earning nice salaries in no time!

It doesnt get boring, but that is my opinion, I always seem to be doing something different, and the more effort you put in, the better the stuff you get to do.

Go for it! Engineering is a very good line to be in, especially civil engineering!

EDIT: Drainage systems are quite fun actually, they have to be all worked out, and it becomes a big riddle almost... Will you be dealing with highway design as well?

Edited by andyroo

I am a cad technician mostly architecture. And i got offered a job similar with training and i took it. And i'm glad i did.

I get one day off a week to go to college, which i am payed to go to. I will also be paid for to go to uni one day a week in a few years time. Meaning i can go to uni with out all the depts some people end up with, as some of the architectural courses are not cheap.

If its anything similar like that i would go for it as there is a lot of different aspects of work you can go into once you are qualified cad technician. Just check what training it involves to make sure it is what you want.

Hope that helps.

>_<